Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Trophy Wife 1.07 Review: The Overstepping of Boundaries


All those that have yet to watch last night’s episode of Trophy Wife, entitled ‘The Date’, now is the only time where I will suggest you go and watch it before reading ahead. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
Before I get onto the review, let me just congratulate this series for getting a full season pick-up. I guess now I can finally settle in and get more attached to these characters.
Now that that’s out of the way, let me begin with the review. This week’s episode was more what I was looking for from a sitcom, mind you only three of the series’ I watch out of twenty are half-hour sitcoms. Maybe it’s that I’m finally being able to see how these characters all fit together or maybe the actors are finally feeling more comfortable in their roles and each other, but they’re seeming to mesh better than in previous weeks. Specifically Diane and Hillary’s mother-daughter relationship, which was really fun to watch in this week’s episode.
I really love the different styles of comedy to this series. The way Hillary is written with the dry sense of humour is great, being that it’s my own form of humour I tend to stick to. Bert has that cute kid kind of comedy to him that is just plain adorable, and then Jackie has that in your face, too close for comfort kind of comedy to her. The others have a mix of humour to them that just fits pretty well together.
 One thing I’d still like to see with this series is a bit more depth to the characters. Sure, we’re finally starting to see pieces of their personalities coming out, but I’m not completely seeing a range to these characters that was part of the reason I loved Friends so much. Comedies are still able to poke out the dramatics in times that are necessary while still holding their sitcom standing, and that’d be nice to see sometime soon.
All in all, this is a very easy comedy series. It doesn’t give me sidesplitting laughter like the new series The Crazy Ones, while it also doesn’t make me see mind-numbing stupidity in it like New Girl has gotten around to doing. By this I mean it’s an easy sitcom to turn on at random and still be able to enjoy without completely following it. So I’ll stick around to watch it as long as it keeps me entertained.
My rating: 7 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“I like your face.” – Meg tells Pete’s coworker at the party.
“She’s not the boss of me, I’m older.” – Warren says. “Yeah, but I’m smarter.” – Hillary replies, after their mother leaves her in charge.
“I don’t think so, but I’m pretty drunk.” – Meg states, about not being the one in Pete’s office having sex with his coworker.
“I gotta rescrub. Rescrub!” – Pete yells, while him and Kate clean his office after the happenings of the party.


This review may seem a bit scattered, being that my roommate’s currently watching American Horror Story: Coven on the television right next to me, and it’s a bit distracting. But I think I did pretty well with this anyways, so here this is. I’ll be posting my brief review of New Girl in a few minutes, and probably Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. later on tonight. After that I’ll probably leave The Originals and Supernatural until tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment