Sunday, November 3, 2013

Grey's Anatomy 10.07 Review: The Magic of Halloween


Anyone that has yet to watch Thursday’s episode of Grey’s Anatomy, titled ‘Thriller’, then that is what I suggest you go do before reading ahead. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
So, not a bad episode, but also not overwhelmingly great. For one thing, I didn’t find that the music fit in a lot of the scenes, despite the Halloween ambiance. And while I did enjoy getting to see a lot of Meredith in scenes, I still felt that this was more of a filler episode than anything, even though there were a few things to happen.
I was happy to see Webber finally apologize to Meredith, he took his damn time doing it but here it was. I don’t think that there was enough of a scene between them, but it was a decent apology. The whole thing with Ben was a little strange. I can see him loving Halloween, but not that he’d drop out of his program after being so gung ho about it. But I am intrigued to learn what is going on with Bailey. Is she still having repercussions from that whole glove incident last season? Or is this something else.
While there were some parts of Shane’s scenes I didn’t like during this episode, I was happy to see him take over that uninsured woman’s medical troubles. I don’t completely understand the rationale behind his guilt, but I do think that it’s making him a better person, and a more interesting person. Plus he looked weirdly good in a sleeveless shirt.
The way Jo worked her problems out with Karev was a progressive step towards them finding happiness again. We all know Karev doesn’t like conveying his vulnerabilities, but I hope with Jo that he is able to eventually get to that point where he can show all of himself to another woman that isn’t named Izzie. I loved that she was able to suck it up and go over to the house and apologize, even if she didn’t completely understand the situation before hand. She owned up to her mistakes, and that’s good on her. Plus, she looked great in the Tinkerbell costume, so that was fun to see.
I’m not really sure what’s going on with Cristina this season. I know this was supposed to be the year of the Yang, due to Sandra Oh leaving at the end of this season, but I’m not feeling that very much yet. Her fighting with Meredith is a little too much, especially since last season they were still very in tuned, but suddenly a second child changes that? I kind of feel like they’re doing this so that Cristina decides it’s time to leave at the end of the season. Sure, I don’t want the character to die, but it feels ludicrous that disassociating her with Meredith will help to lead her character to leave for good.
Alright, I believe I’ve made my peace with this episode. It was definitely a filler, but it was pleasant to watch. I still don’t think this series has much leg in it left, but it’s not the worst thing out there, especially given that it’s in its tenth season. While I know this won’t be its last season, I do hope that eleven caps it off, because there are only so many reasonable things that can happen to these characters to create a sense of drama in their lives.
Oh, and before I forget, I have to mention that of course Grey’s brought in the bath salts case from Florida was it? That I found perfect for this episode. Also, is it actually possible for the body to stop producing adrenaline? That seems a little ridiculous.
My rating: 6.5 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“I’m everywhere.” – Bailey tells the first year Residents about where she came from.
“I’m trying to teach them and you won’t let them learn.” – Webber explains to Bailey.


Okay, now I just have to go review The Vampire Diaries. After that hopefully you’ll be able to catch my reviews of Dracula and Haven. Stick around for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment