Saturday, November 9, 2013

Dracula 1.03 Review: The Puppet Master at Work


For all those that have yet to watch last night’s episode of Dracula, entitled ‘Goblin Merchant Man’, now is your last chance to do so without the threat of spoilers before proceeding ahead. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
Let me begin by saying that this is not an altogether bad series. When an open mind is kept such as I had with this evening’s episode, it is quite a pleasant series to watch. That being said, I do have some issues with it, the most prevalent being how it is often filmed much like an English television series, just with a slightly higher budget. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy English films, accents, and the setting, but I’ve never been able to care about their television. There’s just something in the way they film their television that is just off with me, something I find evident whenever watching something in HD. Not only that, but some of the music in this episode was a tad tedious, while other songs were quite fitting. It was much of a toss up.
Now, I do have to say that the mythology behind this series is quite intriguing when an open mind is kept. Based on what we’ve seen, and knowing that it is bias to his character, I find myself cheering Grayson on, hoping he gets his revenge. There’s just something so visceral in the seeking of vengeance that is such a human trait just magnified in his vampiric mind. But again concerning the mythology, it is very rich to the telling of this story, however heavy it may be at times. I’m really curious to know what the Order’s reasoning behind turning Grayson into a “monster”. They mention it was because of his defiance, but surely that cannot be all, that would be awfully petty of them if it were, as well as pretty damn stupid.
Another thing I love about this series is the opening titles. The whole construct of them, including the actual actors into the slides and then having the puppet master at the end pulling all the strings, it’s quite genius. There is such great thought put into it, that it reflects the series in such a metaphorical way. And also Renfield, I really like him. He is so large and all-encompassing that he just demands a person’s attention immediately with his presence. I’m quite curious to learn more about his character and how he came to work for Grayson. Also, can I just say how amazingly good-looking Jonathan Rhys Meyers looks? If only he were a few inches taller and maybe five years younger.
All in all, this was a pretty decent hour of television. I do love the extravagance of this series; it makes me wish I still lived in Europe, and in a different time. There were definitely several near squeal moments for me this week, one being Grayson’s smile after Van Helsing killed the seers, and the other was when he rescued Mina from that rather rude and belligerent artist man. I am curious to know, not recalling whether it was part of the books, whether Lucy is in love with Mina. I think she may have been, in the books, but I can’t remember, it has been a long time since I read it. Either way, I’m sure we’ll see more of this going forward. This is a darker series to watch, but it is rather fun to invest in.
My rating: 6.5 out of 10.


Okay, no memorable lines for the night, so I’m off to watch Haven. I’m not guaranteeing I’ll review it tonight though, so if I don’t check back in this time or a little earlier tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment