Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Supernatural 9.07 Review: Family Loyalty


For all those that have yet to watch last night’s episode of Supernatural, entitled ‘Bad Boys’, this is your last chance to do so without possible spoilers. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
This is exactly what I’ve been missing about this series! This is the best episode they’ve had in seasons. It was just such a true return to form for this series: monsters, being on the road, a few guest stars, some flashbacks from the past, and a whole lot of salt. Honestly, the way this season is going, I’m going to call it right now and say it’s consistently the best season since Kripke left.
Even remembering Sam had an angel in his body didn’t stop this from being anything less than about a ghost and how to stop it. That is exactly what this series started out as. The family business, going on the road to towns to stop monsters and all that entails. Sure they know a lot more than they did back then, but this still made for a great episode.
Everything about this episode was great – except for maybe how cheesy the ghost mother looked – and made me think I could stick around for this entire season. I still think this series needs to end soon, but it’s good to know that it will hopefully end on a note where it’s back to true form. Let’s be real, the only thing that could’ve made this episode better was if Sam had cut his damn hair, and even that was fixed in a few shots by the use of lighting. I can almost forget about the ridiculousness that was the Leviathons, purgatory, and all that entailed. I’m really proud of where this show is getting.
All in all, from about five minutes into this episode I was happy with it. This week was actually about something other than angels, and the fact that we got to see some flashbacks to a young Dean. That being said, while the kid was pretty talented at playing a young Winchester, he didn’t exactly look anything like the last actor that played a young Dean around seventeen. That was about one issue in this episode that I did have, although I was able to get passed it. I’m honestly getting excited about this series again.
EDIT: Also, they remembered the necklace. I miss the necklace.
My rating: 7.5 out of 10.

Best Line:
“I’m gonna go all Guantanamo on you.” – Dean tells the other kids that were bullying Timmy.


All right, that’s all for tonight, I’m off to bed now. Check back in tomorrow night for reviews of Nashville, Revolution (with it’s last new episode before it’s Winter hiatus), and American Horror Story: Coven. Otherwise, goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment