Thursday, November 21, 2013

Once Upon A Time In Wonderland 1.06 Review: Sometimes the Maddest Stories are the Truest


Anyone that has yet to watch tonight’s episode of Once Upon A Time In Wonderland, entitled ‘Who’s Alice’, that is what I suggest you do before proceeding ahead. For this is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
Well, that was an okay episode. We got to see a bit more of Alice’s past and how she came to reside in that asylum after returning home. I couldn’t help but think of the new stepmom as a bitch, but the kid sister was kind of cute. I only wish she’d have tried to explain a few things to her before leaving for the asylum. It may be just me, but sometimes sisters have to protect one another, even from overbearing (and in this case, asshole) parents.
Otherwise, I did like watching Alice in that almost high state of fake happiness. The actress was brilliant at that and in showing her anger towards Will regarding him taking her from that place. Also, I did enjoy the Red Queen tonight, although not half as much as last week’s episode. I was glad that Jafar was only used sparingly in this episode, because he’s honestly not the strongest – or most interesting – character this series has. I was glad to see that Will was back in full form, but not so happy to have so much Cyrus. I’m sorry, but as much as they try to push that Alice and Cyrus are one another’s true love, I can’t help but notice the chemistry between Alice and Will – despite his not having a heart.
All in all, this episode was decent. Nothing extremely exciting about, but I did mostly enjoy the flashbacks. Certainly not as strong as the last episode, but not as bad as some this series has had. I just wish this show could grow to be consistently good, and that the writing and CGI would really get better. With episodes like this, as soon as Cyrus and Alice find each other, I can honestly see myself tuning out. This show really should have stayed a bridge between Once Upon A Time’s winter hiatus.
My rating: 6 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“Sometimes the maddest stories are the truest ones.” – Jafar explains to the doctor.
“Seems like an awful waste of wood when one sign would do.” – Alice mutters to herself before entering the Black Forest.
“Me! You should believe in me!” – Alice proclaims to her father.

Alright, folks, I’m off to heat up some food and watch Grey’s Anatomy. Stick around for my review of that as well as the one after for The Crazy Ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment