Sunday, November 17, 2013

Haven 4.10 Review: No More Troubles


Anyone that has yet to watch Friday night’s episode of Haven, titled ‘The Trouble with the Troubles’, now is your last chance to do so before proceeding ahead into possible spoiler territory. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! Fair warning.
For all my readers that don’t personally know me, which is most, if not all, of you, I haven’t mentioned it before, but I love alternate reality episodes. ‘The Wish’ was a great Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode, ‘If/Then’ was an awesome Grey’s Anatomy episode, ‘Apocalypse’ was a fantastic Smallville episode, and so much of Fringe was great because of the alternate characters. So, by the promos of this week’s episode, going in I was very excited. And while the episode wasn’t my favourite alternate reality episode of television, it was a great Haven episode.
Seeing the characters we’ve grown to love on this series playing slightly different roles than the ones they’ve played the last four years was fantastic. Lucas Bryant played a strangely – by our standards – happy Nathan that just so happened to be a doctor with a wife and kid. It was weird seeing a happy, goofy Nathan, and in my opinion it didn’t quite come across as natural as it could have been. Eric Balfour, however, was the actor that did the best at switching up his role on this series. He played cop Duke phenomenally, and the fact that he was the one that still seemed to have a thing for Audrey was interesting in itself. I’m starting to feel that he is better suited for Audrey, mostly because he liked her in both realities, and the fact that Nathan seems to have fallen for Audrey based on convenience. Would he still have loved her if her’s wasn’t the only touch that he could feel?
The real star of this episode, though, would have to be Colin Ferguson and his portrayal of William. I am really intrigued by his character, and how he relates to Audrey. This man is just phenomenal in this series, and I’m quite hopeful that he sticks around for a little while. He seems so devoted to his love of whomever Audrey began as, and that’s such an attractive quality to me. The questions he has introduced as well as answered make him such a fascinating character to develop further.
The happy-go-lucky town that Haven, Maine was this week was great to watch. The fact that vandalism was this town’s worst crime – up until the murders that is – was hilarious. It was a nice, little touch to clean this place up and get to see what it might be like if the Troubles had never come to Haven. That being said, it makes for a more interesting show having the Troubles exist, and the fact that we got a few answers – and even more questions – in this week’s episode was perfect for the way this series has developed.
All in all, I really enjoyed this week’s episode. It’s kind of sad, though, that I’m getting super pumped about this season when there are only a few episodes left. Still, I’ll try and soak all the greatness of this season in before it comes to a close and I have to wait another nine or so months until the next season. Because there better be a next season. That being said, I’m really interested to learn more about who Audrey was originally, and to see more of what her connection is to William. Also, I have to say I enjoyed this episode a lot more because it didn’t include Jennifer in it. Don’t get me wrong, the girl could be interesting, if only they hadn’t thrown her and Duke together so rapidly. In the beginning they came off as more brother-sister than a couple, so I can’t be all that into this pairing. If it had been done more naturally, things may have been different, who knows?
My rating: 7.5 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“There’s a Trouble in your bed and I think we should check it out.” – Nathan murmurs jokingly to Audrey.
“This is why I don’t get pedicures.” – Audrey mutters as she stares down at her bare feet.
“What kind of Trouble takes my shoes?” – Audrey questions annoyedly.
“Nother. What do you think it means?” – alterNathan asks innocently. “I think it means ‘Not her’.” – faux Duke replies, annoyed.
“Yeah, I’m gonna get a bigger gun.” – Duke mutters.
“That hurts me.” – Duke states, regarding how he was a cop in the other reality.


Okay, that’s it, I’m caught up. I’m going to go watch a movie or something now, so check back in tomorrow night (or technically in about 18 hours) for my reviews of Once Upon A Time, Revenge, and the series premiere of Almost Human.

No comments:

Post a Comment