Thursday, November 7, 2013

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 1.06 Review: Caught in the Crossfire


Anyone that has yet to watch Tuesday night’s episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., entitled ‘F.Z.Z.T.’, then I suggest that you go do that now before proceeding ahead. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
Although I’ve found that this series seems to tie up intriguing storylines rather rapidly, this week I quite enjoyed the episode. We finally got to see a bit more to both Fitz and Simmons’s characters, a depth to them that was rather necessary to help us grow attached to more than just their geekiness. This series does tend to approach the characters emotions with subtlety and replacing it with the more superhero-like angle, so it’s nice to actually see some more complex emotional states.
To me in this episode, it was Simmons’s performance that stood out. The actress’s ability to bring raw emotion to her character as she stands above the open cargo hold was tantalizing. Sure, her and Fitz’s character often have a lot of intellectual science type jargon that they spit out more often than not, but we really got to see a piece of her character this week. I absolutely adored when she was telling Coulson to tell her dad first because her mom would have an easier time hearing it from him. But while this is a Whedon series, and he does like to kill off his characters at the most seemingly inopportune moments, I felt no fear that Simmons would actually die this week because we haven’t been able to grow attached to her enough that her death would matter. That may be a harsh thing to say, but it’s my view of the truth.
Other things to note about this episode, one being how Coulson feels different since he died and we now know is aware that something is different. While it may seem like something he’s become aware of too early, I hold out hope that this is not the last we’ll hear of this mystery, after Cobie Smulders character in the pilot said he could never know. The other thing to note this week is about how Fitz has a thing for Skye. I just find it so adorable the way he likes her, and that I’d definitely like to see more evidence of this going forward. The only thing is I just hope Fitz and Simmons don’t end up together because they certainly work as partners and friends, I just don’t see any physical chemistry between them. They’re more like siblings; having basically grown up together, and it would be weird if they developed actual feelings for each other.
All in all, this week was a good week for this series. It’s an easy series to watch and enjoy, but I do hope more emotions are involved with all of the characters, not just Skye and few characters each episode. I could see something happening between Ward and Simmons, and eventually Skye and Fitz, as well as Coulson and May. But that may seem too easy for this series. This isn’t as edge-of-your-seats kind of entertainment to watch as the pilot was, but I hold out hope that it gets to be more than just fun entertainment. I have faith in the Whedon team.
My rating: 7.5 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“Man of my age? That’s something you say to an old person.” – Coulson exasperates to Simmons.
“’I’m Agent Grant Ward. I can shoot the legs off a flea from 500 yards, as long as it’s not windy.'” – Fitz mockingly imitates Ward, causing Skye to laugh.
“I’m shadowing my commanding officer.” – Skye says to Ward when she gets a little too close to him and he responds with questions.


Alright, just two more series to catch up on tonight, before I watch Revolution and American Horror Story: Coven. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment