Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Originals 1.08 Review: Fear is Not the Same Thing as Loyalty


For all those that have yet to watch tonight’s episode of The Originals, entitled ‘The River in Reverse’, here is where I suggest you go do that before proceeding ahead. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
I’m not sure how to dictate my feelings towards this episode. It seems like all of this was culminating, but almost like we got to the end of the chapter far too quickly. Klaus gained control of the kingdom by having Marcel swear allegiance to him, but it seems like this has happened way too early in this series. I thought for sure that this would at least play out until the end of the season, but I suppose this and The Vampire Diaries are ones to have half-season arcs, rather than full season arcs that made Buffy the Vampire Slayer work so well. Yes, this episode had its moments, but it didn’t work quite as well as it could have, had it done a season long arc.
For the first five minutes of this episode, I blissfully forgot that Tyler had hopped over to this series. And then we came around to the scene of planning an attack against Klaus, and there he was, in all his terrible glory. At least Rebekah snapped his neck and he now appears to be in the garden for some time, at least I hope. They really didn’t need to keep Tyler around on this series passed that one episode he did two weeks ago; he doesn’t fit in this world, and he always manages to ruin Hayley’s character whenever they’re around one another. Plus he’s gone so far off the deep end that it would really be nice if he would go away, permanently.
Marcel and Bekah working together and being together is another little issue I had. It was easy to see their attraction towards each other, even with the obstacle of him having affection for Cami – which was terribly written out – but they got together far too quickly. While this series has managed to have its good moments, it seems to be wanting to progress things far too quickly than it should, and Marcel and Rebekah was one of those things.
There were a couple things I did like about this episode. One was definitely when Klaus wiped the floor with all those vampires, especially when he gave them his hybrid face. Another was when Rebekah told Marcel to take the coin. And the third was Hayley’s hair. That girl has some gorgeously maintained locks that I would desperately like to get my hands on.
Overall, I’m becoming more iffy on this series. I expected more from Elijah’s fever dreams, as well as more about Hayley’s lineage that we did get. The girl’s supposed to descend from some royal werewolf line, but her family lives in a bayou? I get that they were driven out by Marcel, but why stay near there? They’re not the witches; they don’t depend on ancestral magic to stay werewolves. But still, I am enjoying parts of this series, I just desperately wish that Caroline was here already. I don’t like the way their writing Cami, at all, even if the actress does the part well, I just want Caroline.
My rating: 7 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“Remind me to annihilate your brother when you get healthy.” – Hayley says. “Yes, remind me to remind you to get in line.” – Elijah replies.
“I doubt you’d trust your own reflection.” – Cami tells Klaus, hitting it right on the nail.
“It’s an ancient mystical plot I’m using to destroy you.” – Cami informs Klaus, dryly, before revealing it to be doodles for a tattoo idea.
“Yes, it is ironic discussing freewill with a mind-controlling vampire.” – Father Kieran mutters.


Okay, I’m off to watch Supernatural now, and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. afterwards. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment