Tuesday, November 5, 2013

How I Met Your Mother 9.08 Review: Never Settle for Less than What Makes You Happy


Anyone that has yet to watch last night’s episode of How I Met Your Mother, entitled ‘The Lighthouse’, that are hoping to do so devoid of spoilers, now would be the time to stop reading and go watch the episode. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! Proceed with caution.
So, we’ve finally made it to Saturday morning, with thirty-three hours to go before the wedding. I’ve made it eight episodes into this season of the longest wedding weekend ever, and I’m calling it now, this is not working. The way this is being written is completely ridiculous. I can’t keep track of time, Daphne is an annoyingly useless character, and none of these characters really feel like their getting to interact with each other. This is not the same series that I fell in love with; I am thoroughly disappointed with its farewell season.
On the road, Marshall and Daphne stopped in at Ted’s old house, and stayed the night under Ted’s mom and Clint’s roof. All fine and dandy to want to stop in with these characters for the last time, but it’s kind of uselessly written in there. Was this the best reason the writers could come up with to get these actors back on this show? It seems pretty pathetic, and aggravates the writer in me.
Ted, on the other hand, decides to accept the advise of a woman angry at her significant other, and takes the woman he can barely stand, aside from her looks, up a lighthouse. Anna Camp’s character is also the seemingly last, annoyingly useless roadblock in the way before Ted meets the titular Mother, and that can’t come soon enough. Seriously, I was expecting she’d at least meet someone other than Lily by now, because even with the flash-forwards, I’m not really feeling like her character fits in Ted’s life. She’s almost too much like him, and that scene at the end; I know I’d get bored with someone that was almost exactly like me. I’m very disappointed with the way they’re going with the Mother we waited eight seasons to finally meet. She’s cute as a button, sure, but I’m not seeing the connection yet between her and Ted. But maybe I’m the only one.
There was some sweetness to the Robin and Barney situation, but I find it kind of hard to believe that someone’s own mother wouldn’t attend their daughter’s wedding, with such short notice. What was the point of even becoming a mother if you didn’t want to be there for your child? Still, it was nice to get a sweet moment between Robin and Barney’s mom, when Robin broke down a bit. And we learned that Barney did know Robin couldn’t have kids, but then I could’ve sworn she’d told him in that bathroom last Thanksgiving. Again, I could be wrong, I haven’t watched that episode since then, and it’s drawing mostly a blank.
The other nice thing about this episode was Lily. I enjoyed her seeing judge related terminology in everything she hears that morning, although it was a little farfetched that she didn’t cut her hands with how many glasses she broke. This temperament seemed very Lily, and a nice personality trait to be able to depend on. Also, did anyone else think Alyson Hannigan looked great in this episode, better than she has pre-baby? Her hair and dress were both amazing this week.
Alas, I may stay disappointed in this series’ final season until the end. The whole set up is proving to be too much of a creative change; trust me when I say that changing a series’ dynamic for a show’s knowledgeable final season was not a smart decision. They took a gamble this year, and it’s proving to have failed, at least in my books.
My rating: 5.5 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“Morning, bitches. Like my new blouse?” – Robin says to the room.
“Drivin’ a car, Clint.” – Marshall states, in regards to not being able to do trust falls.
“I hate this song.” – Daphne whines. “Give it time.” – Marshall replies, regarding his and Ted’s road trip song ‘500 Miles’.


Okay, so that’s going to be all for tonight. I have watched Bones, Sleepy Hollow, and The Blacklist, but I won’t be writing those reviews tonight, after my seventh shift of work in a row. I’m tired, and I’m going to go sleep or watch Buffy, not sure yet which will come first. I wasn’t going to do any, but I wasn’t quite ready to go to sleep after checking my email, and I’d just watched three and a half hours of television and needed a break from that, so here this is. Goodnight and see you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment