Saturday, November 2, 2013

American Horror Story: Coven 3.04 Review: United We Stand, Divided We Fall


For all those that have yet to watch Wednesday’s episode of American Horror Story: Coven, titled ‘Fearful Pranks Ensue’, this is the only point where I’ll suggest you go and do that now before reading ahead. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! Proceed at your own discretion.
This week’s episode was so beyond better than the last three episodes, it’s exciting to think. No, there hasn’t been much horror to this season, but the writing was a lot tighter this week, the characters more interesting, and the most encouraging thing about this week’s episode was how wonderful the cinematography was compared to previous weeks. There were still a few moments to the episode, most notably near the end, that could’ve been done without, but overall I was much happier with the camera work this week.
At first I was a little worried Spalding’s backstory would turn out to be moronic, but it was astonishingly interestingly done. It was quite obvious that he was in love with Fiona, but that was still an intriguing touch added in there that he was the person to cut his tongue out. Still, I feel like there needs to be a little more development to him, because he’s really not that great of a character for someone such as Denis O’Hare.
There several small things I loved about this episode. It made me laugh to see Spalding cover his paper from the prying eyes of the Council. I also liked how Zoe seemed to take charge with Kyle, and how she seemed to be a stronger character this week then a few episodes ago. Just leads me to believe she really is the next Supreme. It was also sad but well done the way Marie Leveau took care of that one woman who lost her son to black haters.
There are definitely some questions circulating in my head. Are the writers calling Voodoo Black witchcraft? I’d think they’d give more credit to the craft that it is its own thing. What’s with the dolls in Spalding’s room, and that he was going to dress up Madison’s dead body in Fiona’s old dress? Where did Kyle run off to, and why? Why wasn’t Zoe out there looking for him? And why in all hell did Cordelia’s husband kill that woman? Oh, and was it really necessary to just write that actress into one episode like that when she’s so much better than just a one episode character?
All in all, this week was definitely an improvement. There are still kinks to be worked out by the end of the season, and more horror definitely needs to be added, but it’s getting better a lot quicker than last season did. Maybe season one set the bar too high, but I still expect a lot when that is what’s been created. I am excited to see Marie Leveau and Fiona go head to head.
My rating: 7.5 out of 10.

Best Line:
“If she’s dead, it’s probably because she got wasted and offered the Grim Reaper a hand job.” – Queenie says to the Witches Council.


Alright, that’ll have to be all for the night because I’m still exhausted. My brain is starting to nod off, so I’m signing out. I’ll try and post the review of Thursday’s episode of The Crazy Ones before I go to work tomorrow, but no promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment