Sunday, November 17, 2013

Once Upon A Time 3.08 Review: How Far Does the Apple Fall From the Tree?


Anyone that has yet to watch tonight’s episode of Once Upon A Time, entitled ‘Think Lovely Thoughts’, I suggest that you go and watch it now before proceeding ahead. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
So, we found out who Peter Pan is, and let me just say, I saw that coming as soon as they introduced Rumplestiltskin’s father. Nevertheless, while it does wrap the characters up rather neatly, I’m not a fan of who they chose him to be. A lot of things from earlier episodes don’t make sense now to me, and the character doesn’t seem like the actor knew ahead of time that this was who he was going to end up being, and thus was unable to act accordingly. Plus I find myself liking Peter Pan less now that we’ve learned who he began as.
In my opinion, there was far too much Henry in this episode. I understand the need to use this character, but the actor is just not good enough to be in as many scenes as he is. I almost wish he was going to die, but we all know that’s not going to happen. When they get his heart back, could the magic of putting it back transform him into another actor? I’m pretty sure only if this kid got major acting lessons, or a legitimately talented child actor took over the role would I actually begin to like Henry too. It just sucks because I actually like the name Henry and this kid is ruining it for me.
While I do find that this episode felt like I got through it far too quickly, I am still beginning to get sick of Neverland. I’m a little bored of this arc because it doesn’t seem to be moving at the same pace as the amount of episodes we’ve had this season. By last week’s numbers, I don’t even think it’s been a week since they’ve gotten there, and too much has happened that it’s difficult to keep track of time. It’s making me a little delirious, and I’d really prefer to move onto to a story arc that isn’t based around Henry. As much as I did find Pan an intriguing villain up to this point, we’ve learned too much about him that I’m pretty much done with this arc. Can it be over soon, please?
All in all, not the worst writing they’ve had on this series, but they seem to be wrapping their characters up to neatly for my taste. Not only that, but the lack of continuity they seem to be able to grasp, even in this season alone is a little disconcerting. I mean, Rumple crying over and being surprised concerning the poppet-like doll because it reminded him of his father just makes little sense now that we all know he left it there. Really, this is another series that I watch that I honestly wish I could go in and clean house. Please, show runners, read a few negative reviews just so you can get some constructive criticism about how your series is going!
My rating: 6 out of 10.

Best Line:
“I’m not walking in there with nothin’ but my good looks.” – Rumplestiltskin states.


Okay, I’m off to watch and review Revenge now, so check back soon for that. Afterwards it’s the review of the series premiere of Almost Human. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment