Friday, November 15, 2013

Grey's Anatomy 10.09 Review: Those Feelings of Guilt


For all those that have yet to watch tonight’s episode of Grey’s Anatomy, entitled ‘Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word’, here’s where I suggest you do that before proceeding ahead. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
This week’s episode of Grey’s Anatomy was a really strong episode. The change of scenery was the perfect tone, and the way it weaved the flashback scenes into it, while occasionally confusing, were mostly well done. While Meredith is still my favourite character, I really enjoyed seeing the drama that is Callie’s life at the moment; definitely makes for more interesting television.
While it did seem to fit with why Arizona chose the moment she did to cheat on Callie, the whole baby thing was a little thrown in there. I get that this is an ensemble show, and we don’t always see everything that goes on behind closed doors between these characters, but you’d think a jaw dropper like Arizona wanting another baby and wanting to carry it would have warranted screen time.  Nonetheless, it would be interesting if these two get passed their marital woes and decide to try again for another baby. I really did enjoy the way they wove this sequence of scenes into the disaster of the medical malpractice suit. A nice flare of happy to go with the distraught and disheartening.
There were a number of other good points I loved about this episode. The fact that this entire staff is behind Callie as she goes through this trial was wonderful. I loved how Hunt showed up and helped Callie through the sea of reporters getting too much in her face. I also really enjoyed the fact that Webber had to be there for her, and his remark about almost not being there because Kepner was a terrible driver. Also how well Callie and Arizona seemed to be interacting with each other throughout the episode. And I absolutely loved Meredith’s speech to Callie after she found the letter hidden behind the bookshelf. She really is one to have moments of great wisdom. And of course Callie’s dad showing up and setting her on the path to trying to work to resolve her marriage with Arizona.
Overall, I greatly enjoyed this episode. Sure this series can’t always have great periods of drama wrapped well with its writing like this episode, but I would like to see more of this on a consistent basis. Also, it was really nice not to have to be wrapped up in every single characters life in an episode, and being able to focus on Callie and her interactions with others. This is more of what I want for this show, and if it succeeds I may stick around for an eleventh season. Oh, who am I kidding? I probably will anyway.
My rating: 7.5 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“Turns out she punches pretty hard for such a little person.” – Hunt explains to Callie how he had to fight Bailey to be the first on the scene of the trial.
“Oh, I will miss you most of all.” – Arizona tells her glass of wine in a flashback, after deciding to be the one that carries the baby.
“The fact is, you did nothing wrong.” – Meredith sheds words of wisdom on Callie, explaining a difference between emotions and negligence.
“But how will you know if you never try?” – Callie’s father says to her, concerning Arizona and their marriage.


All right, now, just one more show left to go. Stay tuned for my review of The Crazy Ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment