Thursday, November 14, 2013

American Horror Story: Coven 3.06 Review: Don't Mess With Spirit Boards


Anyone that has yet to watch last night’s episode of American Horror Story: Coven, entitled ‘The Axeman Cometh’, here’s where I suggest that is what you do before proceeding ahead. For this is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
Well, we’re halfway through the season. I do like the material they’ve created this season, but each episode doesn’t quite feel like one full episode. Like tonight’s episode, it felt like half an episode rather than an entire episode with a clearly written beginning, middle, and end. There’s no horror to this season, I thought they’d at least be well written episodes. It’s like one half of an episode is the end to the last, and the other half is the beginning to the next episode. It’d be one thing if all of the episodes were out at once, but it’s aggravating when I have to wait a week to see some sense of conclusion.
One thing I do enjoy this season are some of the characters. Like I believe I mentioned in my review of last week’s episode, Zoe started out as such a scared, little girl, and has really grown into this strong witch that wants to fight to survive. At this point, I honestly don’t care if they say otherwise; Zoe is the next Supreme in my books. Nan is also an interesting character, definitely a step up from the minutely annoying Addie. Queenie, on the other hand, is a character I don’t like. At all. She’s moronic, believing Fiona when she’s obviously being manipulated, and then the way she acted with Bastien. Fiona I’m back and forth on. Her selfishness doesn’t make her much of a redeeming character, but the way she’s trying to step up for Cordelia gives me some hope in her. Cordelia, on the other hand, is definitely better than Paulson’s character last season, but so far I still prefer her character from season one. I’m not much of one to think Paulson is a strong enough actress to carry a season, or have as heavy a role as she has had these last two seasons. Kyle I’m still intrigued by, but I’m still waiting for him to get over this lack of being able to speak. And then Misty I was much happier with when she was fawning over Zoe and wanting to find her tribe, rather than bringing back Myrtle. But I did enjoy her for the most part this week.
So the husband is a witch hunter. That makes more sense now, with the redhead from last week and how he killed her. Still, I’m not quite certain why he would work for Marie Leveau if he’s a witch hunter, this series does state she is a witch, just of a different kind. This does make this come together a bit better, though. I always find this series has stronger second halves of the seasons, when the writing gets clearer and is strung together better. That’s definitely a touchy tactic when it could just as easily fail by causing a series to shed viewership. Nonetheless, I still end up watching the season.
All in all, I do find the writing is stronger as this season goes on, but there isn’t much horror to it. The stories are interesting, but this series is called American Horror Story, not American Story. After the first season, I expected more, but I suppose intriguing storytelling will have to suffice. It does have its sparing moments, but maybe it’s because I have a lamp on so that I’m able to write notes, but its just not getting to me at all. And my house is actually haunted. Although I suppose that might make this season seem less scary, even with that ax man added in. Still, I hold out hope that it will get better. It is, after all, a hell of a lot better than last season.
My rating: 6.5 out of 10.

Best Line:
“You released him?” – Queenie questions. “I told him I would! I lied.” – Zoe explains, diabolically.


All right, that’s all for tonight folks. Check back in tomorrow for my reviews of Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, The Vampire Diaries, Grey’s Anatomy, and The Crazy Ones. Good night to all you other night workers out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment