Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Bones 9.08 Review: Tactfulness and All It Entails


All those that have yet to watch last night’s episode of Bones, entitled ‘The Dude in the Dam’, now would be a good time to do that before reading ahead. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! Proceed at your own discretion.
While I do believe this series has limited time left after giving the fans what they wanted when Booth and Brennan got married, I’m trying to enjoy the episodes this series has left while I can. In that sense, this was a very pleasant episode to watch. Booth and Brennan had their first fight after being married, about none other than Brennan and her idea of whether she is tactful or not. It was a nice easy fight that we didn’t see too much anger behind, other than the fact Brennan thought being called tactless was incorrect and disrespectful to her. For a couple that practically does everything together, they don’t fight quite as often as I’d expect them to.
The circumstance that stirred on the fight between the newly married couple was surrounding Brennan’s review of another novelist’s books and vice versa. It was actually interesting to see the books brought into this series again, other than to be fawned over like in last week’s episode. The drama between Brennan and Tess was very intriguing and something that is adeptly true of life and those involved with entertainment. I loved that Brennan had strong enough morals though to not want to be part of the ruse, and that the author in the end got her karmic justice.
Another big part of this episode was Hodgins and his being a living host to a fly larva. Hodgins is definitely a character. He’s such a strange man, and while I miss, at times, his grumpy side and extreme conspiracy theories, this happy go-lucky side isn’t something I wouldn’t wish on someone I cared about, it just doesn’t always make for dramatic television. I did like the little giggle he made when he said yes to Angela asking him if he was growing a fly. He’s definitely goofier now than he was broody early on in the series. I do tend to prefer broodiness – to an extent – but this isn’t terrible either.
Of course, there was also the murder of the week that we were introduced to this episode with. I loved that it began with this whole beaver dam being studied for these two kids class, and it definitely made for an interesting place to find a body. I was also quite intrigued by the murder victim’s life, although I didn’t quite get his narcissistic personality thing. It didn’t come across clear enough for me to grasp. The whole leopard slug goop was very cool, and the fact that it basically becomes like a glue was interesting information. Definitely brought on a funny moment with Wendall and Hodgins, particularly when he basically backhands Hodgins accidentally and his gloved hand becomes stuck to Hodgins face. This series certainly is ripe with funny moments.
Overall, a decent outing this week for this series. I loved that the writers plugged in Booth’s whole anti reading newspapers on touch pads, and how technology isn’t always a good thing. I very much agree, while I don’t read newspapers all that often, I prefer holding a book in my hands, the feel of the pages, and the look of the paper as its read rather than the bright white of computers. One thing I wasn’t sure of was how inappropriately short Angela’s dress was. I don’t think that any self-respecting person with a job in a place like the Jeffersonian would ever wear a dress that short to work. No, I don’t think Brennan’s earrings would likely be up to dress code, but there not as apparent as that dress. Still, this was a good episode, not outstanding by any means, but good.
My rating: 7 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“Technology is not all about improvement.” – Booth tells Brennan. I agree that it can often be a hindrance with its readiliness.
“Bitch.” – Wendall calls the other author offhandedly to Brennan.
“Angela is going to divorce you.” – Wendall says to Hodgins, regarding the bug growing in his neck.
“Oh man, this is becoming normal to me.” – Wendall remarks, after making cutesy noises to the larva popping out of Hodgins neck.
“Yeah, but I’d need a laser. … That alien attacks you, you’d be happy I had a laser.” – Booth says to Brennan, trying to convince her to write aliens into her next book.


I’m off to go watch Sleepy Hollow now. After that it’s The Blacklist, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment