Sunday, November 24, 2013

Haven 4.11 Review: Connections


Anyone that has yet to watch Friday night’s episode of Haven, entitled ‘Shot in the Dark’, now is your last chance to do so before proceeding ahead into spoiler territory. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
Well, for the most part this was a pretty good episode. I surprisingly enjoyed the mildly shaky camera work that seems to kind of work for this series. Also, I was happy to see Kris Lemche pop up in a show I watch – for those of you that don’t know, he played one incarnation of God in the series Joan of Arcadia, which sadly only lasted two seasons. There were definitely a lot of interesting elements to this episode; I just wasn’t a fan of all of them.
The one of which I am speaking of, is the idea that Jennifer is supposed to be the Child of Haven. What is that even supposed to mean? And why a guard symbol on the book? The fact that Audrey couldn’t see it kind of pissed me off. They’re making Jennifer far too significant for my liking and I’m not understanding it at all. If it had been gradual and natural to the story I may not have minded it, but it was just like BAM! Important character alert! Not my cup of tea, and sloppy writing on the showrunners’ part.
This show is certainly posing some intriguing questions. Like who was Audrey originally? And why did the “Rugaru” go after Jennifer and get obliterated when it went to touch her? As an incredibly curious person, I am hoping to get a significant amount of answers during the two-part season finale.
All in all, this was a mostly good episode. I did laugh when Nathan handed Duke his little gun and then Duke said thanks and pulled out his own gun as well. That was great, and quality Duke. I do think I’m holding out hope for Audrey and Duke to be together, cause I personally think they’d fit better now. Also, I was really happy with Bigfoot’s performance this week (yes, I mean Dwight). The man is surprisingly good in small quantities. While I am excited to see how this season ends, Jennifer has still been a disappointment.
My rating: 7 out of 10.

Best Line:
“Jennifer can do that?” – Nathan asks, regarding hacking the cloud network. “As far as I can tell, everyone younger than me can do that.” – Dwight replies.


Okay, my apologies for not posting this yesterday. I did watch this one, but I was kind of exhausted after work and just wanted to play Sims. I’m going to go shower now, but check back soon for my review of Bones. Apparently there was no Dracula this week, so that doesn’t need to be caught up on.

No comments:

Post a Comment