Monday, November 4, 2013

Revenge 3.06 Review: Honesty is More Powerful than Manipulation


For all those that have yet to watch last night’s episode of Revenge, entitled ‘Dissolution’, this is the only point where I will suggest that is what you do before reading ahead. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
Despite my enjoyment of the final moments between Emily, Nolan, and Jack, this was not as great an episode as last week’s. Sure, I can understand the creative angle driven to write this episode the way it was written, I was a little disappointed in the way certain things were chosen to go.
For starters, Nolan and Patrick only had two episodes kind of together, and I was actually rooting for them and loved them together, but that’s basically down with now. I feel like Patrick just got here, and now he’s being rushed away, despite the possibilities and normalcy his character brought to the show. Yes, he has a weird relationship with his mother, and yes, he tried to kill Conrad, but that doesn’t mean he needed to be written out for a time. I was really liking his character, and how happy he seemed to be making Nolan, someone who really needed it, so I’m sad that this is the way that was chosen, at least at this early point where it almost feels like they made a mistake in the way they’ve written things and are thus fixing them.
Another thing, the chemistry between Daniel and Sarah is so much more obvious than between Emily and him. They have a sense of passion between them that is impossible for Emily with Daniel. But I know that the wedding is gone through with, so what’s the point in dangling this possibility that would be so much better for him than Emily. Emily’s lack of emotions, and almost lack of personality, sometimes makes it hard for me to root for her revengenda, plus the way her plans always seem to be infiltrated before she can fully act them out. It makes it a little strained.
Charlotte was also getting under my skin this week. She’s trying to “protect” her brother from marrying “the wrong woman” and it just makes her seem too much like her mother. I liked seeing her grow into becoming her own, manipulating woman, but we already have a Victoria, and for the most part I want her to be taken down, so I don’t really want Charlotte to end up that way too. It’s disheartening to see a maturing woman become a miniature, almost identical, person to an existing character that isn’t all that great. Victoria has her place, but I don’t want Charlotte to take over that place when Victoria is eventually taken down.
While I was a little weirded out and confused by the way the dialogue was written between Nolan and Jack in the bar, I was happy that they were able to work things out.  It was difficult to follow, but I got the gist of what was going on, and I’m glad they were able to work towards a place of friendship again, because I absolutely adore their friendship, especially the way it was in the first season. It’s nice to see that working out for the both of them, it really appears as though they need each other.
I’m not sure how I feel about this whole Aiden and Emily thing going on. I was under the impression that he was there only to help her get things done, but now they’re back together. I know she has no liking for Daniel, ever since he learned of the cover up of her father’s wrongful incarceration and did nothing about it, but I still feel like her and Jack would be better suited than Aiden and her. It almost seems like, at this point, she’s manipulating Aiden to keep him in line and helping her, but that she’s not trying to manipulate Jack anymore. I did finally realize why he’s pretending to help Victoria, pushing her in the direction Emily needs her to be in, but that’s still not enough for me to feel like Aiden and her need to be the way they are.
All in all, a solid episode of television, although my own creative vision of this series didn’t quite fall in line with the showrunner’s this week. Alas, I’ll leave it up to him to decide what is best for this series, so long as it keeps me interested, doesn’t outstay its welcome, and doesn’t become completely moronic that it alienates me and its vast audience. For now I will keep mum about it, and will look forward to the day we learn who shoots Emily, or if it really is the staging for Victoria being blamed for Emily Thorne’s death.
My rating: 7.5 out of 10.


Maybe I was too tired with this and Once to catch any pop out lines, but there were none I felt impressive enough to jot down. So this is my final review of the night. Check back tomorrow night for my reviews of How I Met Your Mother, Bones, Sleepy Hollow, and The Blacklist. Otherwise, good night everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment