Saturday, November 16, 2013

Dracula 1.04 Review: Trust is Stronger than Love


Anyone that has yet to watch last night’s episode of Dracula, entitled ‘From Darkness to Light’, now would be a good time to do that. For this is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
All right, I’m going to keep this quick so I have time to review Bones tonight and at least watch Haven, so here goes.
Meh. This episode was mediocre television in my eyes. About only two things I found redeeming: Mina’s curiousity, and the scene between Grayson, Lady Weatherby, and Josef. Otherwise this series isn’t feeling like enough for me. It’s very bland, and isn’t a refreshing take on the age-old Dracula tale. There are little bits that I enjoy, but it’s just not peeking my interest quite enough for only the fourth episode.
It’s sad for me, I absolutely adore Jonathan Rhys Meyers and wish the writing in this series was up to par with his acting capabilities. This is a talented man and they’re just not using him as much as they should. It’s also disappointing because I’d love to see Mina and Grayson eventually being together, but this series may not last long enough to get there. I understand the need for vengeance, but it’s not being done as interesting as it could be. I really feel the need to go in there and clean house.
Not only that, but it still has that genuine British television vibe to me, and, like I said in a previous review of this series, I just don’t like British television. There’s just something about the way that it’s filmed that makes it appear too uncultured. The cinematography just looks cheaply done and makes it difficult to hold my attention.
Overall, I’m thinking I’m only going to be able to give this series one more episode, maybe two, before I call it quits. I desperately want this to be good, but it’s just not cutting it with me. I will be giving it at least one more episode, so I implore the writers to make it worth my while so I’ll want to stick around for more.
My rating: 6 out of 10.

Best Line:
“Unless, of course, you’d like to stay here and discuss floral arrangements.” – Grayson notes to Harker.


Okay, I’m off to watch Bones now, in its very new timeslot. I’m not all that happy about at the moment because I get off work at 2 am on Friday’s, and I already have two series I watch, so three hours of television now and about a half hour each review. It’s a lot of work, but I prevail. Stay tuned for that review.

No comments:

Post a Comment