Thursday, November 14, 2013

Nashville 2.07 Review: Doing What's Right For Those You Love


Anyone that has yet to watch last night’s episode of Nashville, entitled ‘She’s Got You’, I suggest that you go do that before reading ahead, or exit the screen now. For this is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
WHAT? Okay, no, really, WHAT? Olivia is gay? Or at least bi? I am so flabbergasted right now; I did not expect that at all. I’m so very… I don’t even know what to say to that. All the power to her, if she is, but she is still married, even if her husband is cheating on her, with the same woman she wants to sleep with. I can’t even recall Juliette ever being into women before, so I’m certainly intrigued to see how that exchange goes next week. I have a feeling Olivia may blackmail her if Juliette doesn’t go along with it, but that’s not something that goes over well with Juliette.
Now that I’m through with that extreme shocker, I have to say that I’m really liking the progression of the stories in this series. It feels very natural for a lot of them. Raina moving forward with Luke and her family, putting Maddie first when it comes to Deacon so that the two of them can have a relationship. Also, Juliette and Charlie’s relationship, how she really doesn’t want anything from him, she wants to be able to get places on her own, but at the same time she uses certain things to her advantage. In that way, she’s surprisingly smart; making it look like she got Santa fired and rehired, just to show him she was the one with the power. While I don’t expect their thing to last, I kind of wish it could between Charlie and Juliette because they fit so well together.
Deacon’s struggle with singing without a guitar, something that is more natural to him was extremely well done. I loved seeing him try to dance with the mike rather than what he’s used to, but he hadn’t gotten the natural thing down quite well. I also loved the fact that the first bar he sang in had turned into a comedy club, so he basically had to man up, especially for Maddie’s sake. It was also a really strange relationship between him and Avery this week, but strange in a good way. I definitely like the way they’re going with this character, redeeming him in the way they’re choosing to do.
There were a lot of great moments to this week’s episode. While I’m still not on the bandwagon of Zoey and Gunnar, I did like seeing the way he maneuvered the rights to his song in order to get a break. Definitely going to be awkward having him and Charlotte on the same tour bus, but interesting all the same. Loved seeing Raina shooting a gun to distract herself from her ex-husband’s wedding. Also Maddie’s fears about being replaced were realistic and nicely done, and nicely resolved, for now. I’m still very intrigued by what way they’re going to go with this Peggy thing.
All in all, this is a very good series to be watching. It’s a nice, easy, very grounded soap that I love watching every week. No, I’m not constantly excited by what’s going on, but I love the fact that it’s not completely out there with the drama, and how very homegrown, down to earth it really is. That definitely makes this a much watch in my books, because there isn’t a lot of that on television these days.
My rating: 8 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“I don’t want to talk about this morning. Ever.” – Deacon states rushedly to Avery.
“Son of a bitch.” – Juliette mutters to her manager about Santa staging a walk out on her part of the concert.
“He always liked me, right?” – Maddie asks her mom, referring to Deacon.


All right, I’m off to watch Revolution now. After that it’ll be American Horror Story: Coven. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment