Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The Originals 1.07 Review: We Fight For What We Believe In


Anyone that has yet to watch last night’s episode of The Originals, entitled ‘Bloodletting’, now would be a good time to go and do that. For this is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
Well, this week’s episode wasn’t a bad episode; I just don’t think it was anywhere near as good as the last two. First of all, they crossed Tyler over to this series, which, while it did illuminate the fact that the blood of Hayley and Klaus’s baby can create more hybrids, was a big mistake in my opinion. I lost interest in him over on The Originals a good season ago, why would they think crossing him over to this series would benefit it in any way? The people want Caroline on this series, not Tyler.
Another thing that bugged was more of the same with Klaus and his insecurities about nobody loving and wanting him around, so he basically has to go around threatening and seeking out vengeance. He wants people to fear him, and yet that tends to end in revolts. I was happy to have him and Elijah being on good terms, and for Rebekah and him to be on, more or less, decent terms as she left. Then they went and screwed that around this week by having Elijah lose faith in his brother’s actions so Klaus bit him, and to have Rebekah and Marcel start to work against Klaus. They’re screwing around with this story too much, when it was working with the Original family of vampires actually working together, with some slight jealousy on Klaus’s part seeing Elijah fawning over Hayley. So basically, this episode worked for about half of it, until they found Hayley, and Marcel and Rebekah got to talking in the garden.
One thing I did enjoy about this episode was Hayley’s willingness to fight. She did her best and actually managed to escape, right before Elijah and Klaus came in to save her. The fact that this girl wants to fight is something I can really find myself rooting for, definitely more so than I was on The Vampire Diaries. And also, I really enjoyed the scenes between Davina and the newbie vamp. They actually seemed like they could be friends. Although I was confused about the guy saying he liked boys. Wasn’t he the vampire that was changed when his girlfriend betrayed him? I’m a wee bit confused about that. Mind you, I prefer his friendship with Davina more being that he’s gay, because that means they’re definitely not going to push a romantic relationship between the two of them. For once a guy and girl can be actual friends without it leading to more.
There were a couple other things I was confused by in this episode. Did anyone else feel like Tyler’s character was completely different on this series than on the mothership? I just couldn’t understand a guy that had been somewhat happy with Caroline for a moment in last week’s TVD episode, could make a complete one-eighty into this character. Am I alone on this? Also, what was that whole business where Klaus bit Elijah and said he would soon have hallucinations? Will he still have hallucinations because of the bite and just not die? Because he said it wouldn’t kill him, and I didn’t think it could because he’s an Original, but then what was the point of Klaus biting him then?
Anyways, like I said, not as strong as the last couple of episodes this season, but it still had its moments. This series is still definitely a guilty pleasure in that I like it so much, much more than I expected to last season on TVD when this concept was introduced. I used to think the Originals needed to stay on The Vampire Diaries, particularly as such a gung ho Klaroline shipper, but they mostly seemed to be more actualized and ripe with story opportunities on their own series, and not distracted by the Delena/Stelena love triangle.
My rating: 6.5 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“If I’m moving too fast for you Nicklaus, you’re welcome to wait in the car. Do be certain to leave the windows down.” – Elijah explains to Klaus.
“I’m a witch, I’m not Amish.” – Davina says.
“So did I, the last time I was in Cabo.” – Hayley tells Elijah, regarding the fact that everyone does unspeakable things.


Okay, I’m off to review Supernatural now. Stick around for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment