Thursday, November 7, 2013

Revolution 2.07 Review: Betrayal of the Worst Kind


Anyone that has yet to watch last night’s episode of Revolution, entitled ‘The Patriot Act’, here is where I will suggest that you go do that before proceeding ahead. As always, this is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
First off, can I just say how happy I am that Monroe is still alive? Although, come on, if they’d have killed him off they would be complete morons. Otherwise, I enjoyed large bulks of this episode, getting to see behind the eyes of Dr. Porter’s past, but there are some things leading me to believe we’re going to see less of the gang all together for a little while.
While I’m not the biggest fan of this whole Aaron controlling the nanites storyline, at least they saved his life as well as kept him and his girlfriend from being caught. It was nice to see Aaron in this episode, a character that has finally gotten backbone by telling Miles he will not leave Cynthia behind, and they better figure out a way of bringing her along. It makes me proud of the character growth he has developed just over two seasons.
Although I can understand the reasoning behind Gene’s decision to become a Patriot, standing by and watching such travesties go on for your own selfish gain is terrible. Yes, he was doing so he wouldn’t have to watch his townspeople die of diseases, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions. When I heard him listening into their conversation, all I though was, ‘Shit. This is why you don’t trust vents!’ But I am thankful that he didn’t rat them out – at first. Although both himself and Rachel could take a page from Neville in being able to lie convincingly, because it was so obvious that he was hiding something.
Speaking of Neville, I have to say that I am glad he was able to bring Jason back, as far as we can currently tell. I do think that Neville was holding his gun weird during that search of the buildings, and then those boys were definitely terrible shots. That father-son moment though, where Jason is covered in blood and a look passes between them was brilliantly subtle yet moving all the same. I think that this entire reason they wrote Jason into this, was so that his damaged character would be on a similar playing field with Charlie again. Although I’m still desperately hoping they forgo that for Bass/Charlie, but something tells me they’re going to ignore that exceptional amount of chemistry, although I’ll hold out hope until this series ends, just give them more scenes together.
A few other things to note, one being how they were saying Rachel’s mom died from cholera. Who knew something like that could happen there, even without power, seeing as it took this long to introduce this type of story? Also, I once again have to say how much I love Monroe and the fact that he is on Miles’ side again. I am desperately hoping for more bromance between them, and scenes of fighting for the cause with Monroe, Charlie, and Miles. Don’t get me wrong, Charlie and her mom had a nice moment in this episode, but Rachel is still too heavily involved in this series for my liking. That whole moment, too, where Bass has to sit down after killing those two men was just great. Also, note to self: don’t ever alarm Aaron to the point of desperation or anger, he will burn you up. He also has a terrible last name.
All in all, there were some exciting points to this episode. I still wish for more of what I love (anything between Bass, Charlie, and Miles), but I’m a selfish viewer. I really hope the way they’re going with this Aaron story doesn’t get too hokey, otherwise I may skip passed those parts for better things, and I’d really hate to do that. I’ll just have to put my trust in Kripke that he knows what he’s doing; he did, after all, give me the best seasons of Supernatural under his tutelage.
My rating: 7.5 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“You missed me. You’re my best friend.” – Monroe says to Miles, while still loopy.
“Oh, you’ve gotta be kidding me.” – Monroe exclaims after reading what Miles was sending to him with the light.
“Unless we can charge Aaron out of the wall Kool Aid style, I’m out of ideas.” – Miles exasperates.
“You gonna go all macho on me now? You only got one hand.” – Aaron says to Miles.
“So that’s what fifteen year old crap smells like.” – Aaron states after the manhole is opened.


Okay, I’m off to go write up my so-not-glowing review of American Horror Story: Coven. Stay tuned for that. Later, reviews of The Vampire Diaries, Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, Grey’s Anatomy, and The Crazy Ones. So stick around.

No comments:

Post a Comment