Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Trophy Wife 1.08 Review: Taking Control of the Matter


For all those that have yet to watch tonight’s episode of Trophy Wife, entitled ‘Lice and Beary White’, now would be a good time to go do that. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! Proceed at your own discretion.
I really liked this week’s episode. Aside from the school nurse, who was annoyingly bland and not funny at all, this whole lice situation made for an interesting episode. We were able to see everyone interact with each other, and see a struggle of power and wills between Diane and Kate. I’m finally starting to see this series comedy grow into its own, and the ensemble is definitely beginning to work well with each other.
So, basically, this episode was all about Bert being found with lice, and everyone having to be round up to wash their hair of the bugs. Kate had things under control, but then Diane swoops in and takes over, not believing Kate can handle this better than her. Diane’s jabs at Kate were definitely funny, and Kate’s trying to get back at Diane by switching out the lice shampoo made for a hilarious circumstance. Of course Hillary’s play was Hair, under these circumstances. I totally loved Diane and Kate at least agreeing to back away and let another kid take the wrap for spreading lice. At least they managed to agree on one thing.
Elsewhere in the episode, Bert and Warren struggled over who would get to keep Beary White, a well worn teddy bear. I love every time Pete gets to use his job at home; it just brings a certain realistic hilarity to things. The way he also tried to settle who would get to keep the bear, by telling them the story of Solomon was perfect. Neither of these kids are very smart upon hearing the story and being okay with the bear being cut in half, but then Bert’s a kid and Warren obviously gave all his smarts to Hillary.
All in all, this was a very enjoyable episode. The Crazy Ones is still my favourite new sitcom of the year, but this series definitely takes second place. I’m not as big on sitcoms as I am dramas, so the fact that I’m still watching this series definitely says something good about it. The lice circumstance to this episode definitely gave it a lot of material, although I doubt the bear will be remembered or mentioned again, with the fact it had lice in it. Also, the fact that Jackie can’t drive was just hilarious. I’ll be sad to not have this series on my Tuesday nights until December 3rd.
My rating: 7.5 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“Bert’s got lice. We’ve got lice.” – Kate says into the phone. “Round up the others.” – Pete whispers back. “I’m on it.” – Kate replies.
Jackie referring to herself as, “The Jackal.”


All right, I’m off to watch The Originals now. I may or may not watch both it and Supernatural before reviewing either, I’m not sure yet. But stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment