Friday, November 8, 2013

The Crazy Ones 1.07 Review: The Stalker Files


Anyone that has yet to watch last night’s episode of The Crazy Ones, titled ‘Sydney, Australia’, now would a good time to do so before reading ahead. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
This series is hilarious, I absolutely love it. From what I can recall, it’s the best sitcom I’ve watched in a while. This ensemble cast just works so well together, that I don’t ever want this series to end. They really kill it working together.
So this week, Josh Groban guest starred as Sydney’s stalker ex who saw an ad about her in a paper and sent her a basket with a CD that included a song – or rather a jingle – about her. A rather catchy song at that, to which Sydney’s loveable coworkers begin to tease her with to no end. I just loved all of their reactions to the song, with Zach and Andrew and Lauren all singing along to it when they first heard it. These people are honestly a comedy gold mind. Robin Williams and Sarah Michelle Gellar are great, but it’s the rounding out of the cast with James Wolk, Hamish Linklater, and Amanda Setton that just turn this comedy into something spectacular.
Really, I don’t think there is anything that I found particularly wrong with this episode. Sure, I expected Sydney to turn Danny down and then for them to somehow want or need them in the end, but that didn’t make it any less interesting when it happened. Then there was Simon’s hatred of Australia, which was just plain hilarious, especially when he sings about it at the end with Danny and comes to the conclusion it may have been New Zealand he’s hated all these years. Not only that, but all of the funny ways they pitched ideas to the Aussie tourist agency was sidesplitting, particularly when they all dressed up in the feathers and dresses. This series is just through the roof funny, and I don’t often say that about sitcoms. Perhaps it’s that this series doesn’t dumb down the funny, and that all of the actors are really coming into their own in their characters, including Sarah Michelle Gellar to which I found was struggling in the beginning, but any way you put it this show is great.
All in all, I love this series. The characters are perfect, kooky and flawed and each adding their own piece to the unit. The filming style works great, especially the brief views of New York City. Really, every week I look forward to this show and it doesn’t disappoint. This show makes for the perfect end to an evening of television. I just can’t wait for more.
My rating: 8.5 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“They also gave us the Wiggles, which only enjoyable when you’re high, and what kind of message is that for kids?” – Simon mutters on about his hatred for Australia.
“Wait, I’m sensing your question was rhetorical.” – Lauren realizes, after going on about her stalker techniques.
“Australia’s so hot, not even the Nazi’s wanted it.” - Simon complains.
“Should they even be allowed to call themselves a continent? I think we should revisit that, like we did with Pluto.” – Simon persists with his hatred for Australia.
“I always wonder where it goes when that happens.” – Lauren ponders, after Sydney says she no longer has to pee.
“God, I hate that coun-“ – Simon mutters. “Dad!” – Sydney cuts him off.


Okay, that’s all for tonight. I’m off to go watch a couple episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer before bed. Check back in tomorrow night for my reviews of Dracula and Haven.

No comments:

Post a Comment