Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Sleepy Hollow 1.09 Review: Family Lineage


For all those that have yet to watch last night’s episode of Sleepy Hollow, entitled ‘Sanctuary’, this is your last chance to do so before proceeding ahead into spoiler territory. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
Now that was an hour chock full of tantalizing and exciting new information. So, Ichabod and Katrina had a son; now that is an intriguingly surprising turn of events that I’m quite happy with. Knowing that now, I’m actually starting to wish we were getting a full twenty-two episode season, rather than the guaranteed thirteen and thirteen. Still, I look forward to how the end of this season is written.
This episode definitely had it’s good and it’s bad. Bad was definitely the shaky, uneven cinematography as well as the terrible lighting that made it far too difficult to orient where everything was. Also, I kind of liked the bodyguard, so it’d have been nice if he hadn’t died, although that’s more my disagreeance with the writing rather than the overall episode. Good was both the segue into the title sequence with Abby’s statement about being in a haunted house, and the perfection that was emotional Crane.
Tom Mison was beyond brilliant in this episode. I mean, honestly, for the tearing up and catching in his stance upon hearing Katrina had been pregnant was absolutely phenomenal. The man made me feel for him in such a real, gritty kind of way. And then to tack on his anger towards the creature that had threatened his wife and child was fantastic, although it could’ve used some instrumentals behind it, little, or some type of noise. Then for him to come out covered in blood was just the cherry on top of the cake, so magnificent. This man deserves an award for merely that emotional moment inside the house as they looked for Lena. Honestly, it was so wonderful.
Otherwise, I am curious to learn more about Irving and his daughter. I’m guessing it has something to do with her being in that wheelchair, but that’s just me assuming. Maybe it was because of a car accident, or the man had someone come after him and his daughter got in the crossfire, I don’t know. The young actress does seem to make the character interesting, so I would like to see her around some more. Also, I find it very interesting that they seem to be pushing Irving and Jenny towards each other. Jenny may not like the guy now, but it’s cliché how often that leads to eventual romance. While she seems like she’s young enough to be his daughter, it might be an interesting pair. But then, any pair is more interesting than those that are delusional enough to think Abby and Ichabod are anything more than just partners. The man is married, for Christ’s sake, stop acting like that doesn’t mean anything, especially now that there was a child involved.
Anyways, for the most part this was a good episode. This series certainly has its pitfalls, but what show doesn’t? I do feel like this series does, at times, take itself too seriously, and also the young woman that plays Abby (whose name currently escapes me, and I don’t feel the need to look up) over exaggerates her expressions, as well as when she speaks, but otherwise this series can be good. For the first two minutes, though, I did think Lena and her bodyguard were better than the leads, but I still love Ichabod.
My rating: 7 out of 10.

Best Line:
“You’ve surely come to realize by now, lieutenant, that when the two of us are involved, rarely is a coincidence, a coincidence.” – Ichabod shares his wisdom with Abby.


Okay, I’m off to watch The Blacklist in a minute, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment