Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Supernatural 9.06 Review: Humanity has a Learning Curve


For all those that have yet to watch last night’s episode of Supernatural, entitled ‘Heaven Can’t Wait’, this is your last chance to do so without spoilers before proceeding ahead. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
Maybe it was because of my slight disappointment in this week’s episode of The Originals, but I really liked this episode. Despite it not being about finding monsters, and being a lot more about angels and demons, it was surprisingly good. We got to see our newly human Cas again, who seems to be adapting decently to his humanity, however guilt-ridden he may feel. That’s merely apart of being human, though, the guilt that comes along with it is a consequence of a mistake we may have committed.
Now that I think about it, this episode may have been good because it didn’t have Dean and Sam working together, with more bull shit about family coming first and Dean keeping the fact that Sam has an angel housed in his body. Dean was the one trying to help Cas and solve the riddle of what was happening to the people where Cas lived. Sam and Kevin, on the other hand, spent their time researching – yay research! – more about the spell that pushed the angels out of heaven, and learned that it couldn’t be reversed. I have to say that I really missed the research aspect of this show, it used to remind me of the good ol’ days when Buffy was still around.
Surprisingly, I think I enjoyed this episode more because Cas was in it, rather than the boys. He was sad in the beginning, and still at the end, but he really came through in a pinch. I am curious to know if Cas’s boss really believed him when he told her the sleeping bag was there because of the reason he gave. He wasn’t very convincing to me, so I don’t see how she could’ve believed him. Still, I liked seeing the interactions between them, and the fact that she called him special. He may not feel like it right now, but he is. Also, I can’t write a paragraph about Cas and not comment on the singing. That was perfect.
All in all, this made for a pretty good episode. I guess I can still hold out some hope that this show will get better, even if it doesn’t seem like it will ever be as good as the first few seasons, before angels were ever involved. I am definitely curious to know what Crowley was doing with that syringe. Is he trying to make himself human or something? Anyways, I’m actually looking forward to this show more now, than I was a few weeks ago. It’s still a little too easy for the boys, but I hold out hope that will eventually be rectified.
My rating: 7 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“How many volumes are there?” – Dean asks. “Twenty-four. (Pause) Don’t worry, we’ve got ‘em all.” – Kevin replies. “Awesome.” – Dean remarks.
“Scarier than you’ve been in years.” – Sam taunts Crowley with comments that Abbadon is scarier.


Okay, that’s all for tonight folks. Check back in tomorrow night for reviews of Nashville, Revolution, and American Horror Story: Coven

No comments:

Post a Comment