Thursday, November 7, 2013

Supernatural 9.05 Review: Dean Winchester, Animal Whisperer


All those that have yet to watch Tuesday night’s episode of Supernatural, entitled ‘Dog Dean Afternoon’, now would be a good time to do so before reading ahead. As this is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! Proceed at your own discretion.
For the first, I don’t know, half of the episode, I thought to myself, ‘Yay, two monster-related episodes in a row. This series is finally getting back to its roots where angels and demons were few and far between.’ So, I was a lot happier with this episode than I have been with this series – other than last week – in a long time. Still, it didn’t cap off nearly as exciting as it began. It was only a human with a shaman spell. Which makes two witch-like villains in a row. Please give me some actual monsters.
My one big issue with this episode was the ludicrous aspect of Dean communicating with animals. It was kind of stupid, made it too easy, and just wasn’t written well enough to be depicted in a realistic – for this show – kind of way. Sure, it brought a lot of humourous moments to this episode, but that’s with my currently low expectations of this series that should have ended three years ago. Seriously, they are running this series, that I have loved for five years, into the ground. End it soon, every series has a shelf life, this one has passed its.
There were some funny moments to this episode that I did enjoy. Dean pulling out a gun on the bird that was mocking him was simply hilarious. Also, Sam having to rub that dog’s belly for it to give them answers. But still there were some bad points too. The villain’s ridiculously fake looking “wolf” teeth comes to mind, as well as how easy it is for them to get answers with the Men of Letters bunker library. It makes me miss the point to this series, two brothers going on the road to hunt things. Not angels specifically, not demons, all evil. I miss Kripke. Also, the guy ate the kitty, what the hell?
Overall, better than a lot of the episodes this series has been putting out. The current show runner is much better equipped than Sera Gamble was, whose only big achievement was the episode where Sam and Dean end up on the Supernatural set. Otherwise, this series is still growing stupendously disappointing. I really am done after this season if they don’t give me what made this show great in the first place. There is evolving a series, but not forgetting its roots altogether.
My rating: 7 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“I don’t like the way that owl’s looking at me.” – Dean grumbles about the dead and stuffed owl.
“I always knew I’d find the source of all evil at a vegan bakery!” – Dean announces to Sam.
“You know who wears sunglasses inside? Blind people, and douchebags.” Dean tells Sam.
“That’s monkeys.” – Sam says to Dean, about the animal that knows sign language.
“Oh shut it, you winged rat.” – Dean shouts at the bird.


Okay, all caught up now. Just have to watch Revolution and American Horror Story: Coven, of which both I am excited for, so it’s a toss up to which I’ll watch first and review. Stay tuned. Or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment