Sunday, November 3, 2013

The Vampire Diaries 5.05 Review: And the Trouble Keeps On Coming


For all those that have yet to watch Thursday night’s episode of The Vampire Diaries, titled ‘Monster’s Ball’, this is the only point where I will suggest that you do that first before reading ahead. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! Proceed at your own discretion.
Despite this not being a terrible episode, or the fact that some intriguing things did happen this week, this series has been something of a mess this year. The writers have dragged the mythology around in the mud and changed already established notions from years before. It’s making me lose any faith I had in this series becoming something greater than a show about a love triangle.
Okay, so while it was astonishing to learn that Nadia is in actuality Katherine’s daughter, it makes things a little wonky. She appears to be quite young herself, but she must have had a child as well, or else Elena would never have been here. But she’s angry at Katherine for making herself a vampire, when she must have done the same to her own child to seek revenge against her mother. And while that does make this interesting territory, I’m still confused by the fact that I could’ve sworn she was supposed to be a gypsy, or traveller, or whatever you call them. Please tell me there are at least answers to the question of Nadia’s child.
This whole teacher thing is little weird. He’s calling newly turned vampire Jesse a perfect candidate, but candidate for what? And why would he say it was too bad that Elena was leaving, only to threaten her and her friends when she comes back? I thought he wanted her help, or was that just badly written/acted? I have to say I’m more intrigued by Aaron, who just so happened to play a teacher on the short-lived CW series Life Unexpected. The guy definitely is a mirror to Elena, and I find him filled with possibilities. It’s been a long time since this series introduced an attractive young man, and it’s just sad that the guy appears to have a fair amount of chemistry with Elena when she’s dating Damon and she already has a stupid love triangle. That’s the problem with series written about love triangles, it leaves no open possibilities. But still, I hope he sticks around for a little while, I’d like to get to know him.
Two other things that I have to note about this episode, one being the whole Tyler thing. He came back to say goodbye, but has the audacity to sleep with Caroline before he drops that little news on her. Such a stupid guy move that it makes me actually hope he’s gone for good. But so help me if they write him onto The Originals, I’ve finally begun to like Hayley, and if Tyler comes back into things, it will just ruin the dynamic. I want Caroline on that series, not Tyler.
The other thing was how Katherine is still alive. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy she is, I was going to start thinking her daughter would have to seek revenge, but then her heart starts beating again. Does that mean she won’t ever die? Will any vampire that drains her become mortal again and she will breathe again? Why would this happen? So many questions that I desperately want answers to. This is what I mean by introducing actually riveting material.
Overall, I can’t see this series going on much longer. It has this season, maybe one more, unless it gets its act together and starts writing consistently and for the characters. When it comes to writing, what’s natural to the story is what’s necessary, not drama and things that will bring a soap opera feel to the environment. Get that together, and this series could possibly survive a few more than my early prediction. But don’t get interesting soon, and I’m out of here.
My rating: 6.5 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“Thanks to an ex-fiance stalker witch…” – Silas complains to Nadia.
“Whatever.” – Damon retorts to Jeremy, after Jeremy tells him Bonnie’s not where he’s gesturing towards.
“She knows I can’t hear her, right?” – Damon questions Jeremy in regards to the ghostly Bonnie.


Okay, I’m caught up with Thursday night, now just to get on with Friday night. I’m off to watch Dracula now, then Haven. I probably won’t get to those reviews until tomorrow, so don’t wait up for those.

No comments:

Post a Comment