Saturday, November 16, 2013

Bones 9.09 Review: Injustice is Everywhere


For all those that have yet to watch last night’s episode of Bones, entitled ‘The Fury in the Jury’, this is where I suggest that is what you do before proceeding ahead. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
This is going to be quick, because I still have last night’s episode of Haven to watch, so here goes.
For about the first half of the episode, until we learn who the corpse on the table is, I kept thinking this guy better be Barnes or else these two cases don’t work together. I knew it was him from the moment he was mentioned, but I’m still happy it was because I wasn’t really that interested in the washed up corpse until it did work into the jury case Brennan was working on. The process of the jury and evidence and the court case was much more interesting to me than them searching for clues on the murder victim. I kind of wished they had focused more on the court case because it was a nice change of pace, much like this week’s episode of Grey’s Anatomy, sadly I don’t think they used it to the best of their abilities; they really should have absolved from the murder victim of the week to just the court case this episode, in my opinion.
Until it was brought up again in this episode, I had completely forgot the poster child for a PSA about having her identity stolen was that of Dr. Soroyan. This is where I think this series resolves things strangely; things will be mentioned maybe two or three times in the span of several more episodes and then be quickly resolved. Just you wait, this won’t even be mentioned in the next episode, and possibly not even the episode after that. That’s the problem this series has, bouncy continuity, and jumping character development. They can’t just stick to a story momentum; much like a schizophrenic, they jump from one delusion to the next, one story to the next, to the next, back to the second, than the first, than the second again, and finally the third once more. It’s erratic and mildly irritating.
All in all, in its first episode in its new Friday night timeslot, this episode was mediocre. It had its moments where it was good, and then blatantly awful. I am a big believer that this series needs to end soon because, aside from the wedding episode, this series hasn’t been good since the end of season six. It’s far too happy, too joyful, too bland and not as gritty, realistic, with a flare for comical moments to dark tones. This series quite possibly needs to end this season, if not the next. And even if it gets a tenth season, I don’t know if I can see myself sticking around for it. This season may be it for me; it’d be nice to get a gratifying ending.
My rating: 6.5 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“You’re very quiet.” – Booth says to Brennan. “Because I’m not talking.” – Brennan replies.


Okay, I’m off to watch Haven now, but don’t stick around for that review. Check back in tomorrow night for the show I actually looked forward to watching tonight and saved for last.

No comments:

Post a Comment