Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Sleepy Hollow 1.08 Review: Selling Your Soul for Vengeance


For all those that have yet to watch Monday night’s episode of Sleepy Hollow, entitled ‘Necromancer’, now would be a good time to go and do that before reading ahead. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
This week’s episode was more of what I was looking for: continuity, strong character development, and no focus on the delusional romantic chemistry between Ichabod and Abby. Now we know who the Horseman is, and while it might’ve been better if they kept Death as this eternal Horseman, it does make a lot of sense concerning who they went with. And this will certainly make things more interesting as the apocalyptic battle moves forward.
Can I just say how much I love the Captain? The pilot episode made it out to be like he might be some villain type character, but I’m quite happy that that’s not the way they’ve chosen to go. The actor does a phenomenally hilarious job in his role; I’m just completely surprised this is the first time I’ve seen this guy around. He’s fantastic!
There are a few other things that need to be commented on. First, Abby’s sister looks so much better with her hair down because it’s not completely flattened down. Every time it’s up, it makes her face look dramatically sharp. Also, how did no one think about what if the power got cut off? That was the first thing I questioned when I started the episode, so how could they not think of it. Also, it was pretty obvious Abraham was Death as soon as Ichabod left him and didn’t see for certain that he had been killed.
Overall, this is definitely the way I prefer this series going. This was a much stronger episode than in weeks before. I really loved the way all the good guys were able to come together this episode in a cohesive unit. If they keep things up this way, I will definitely get excited over a second season.
My rating: 7.5 out of 10

Best Lines:
“Seriously?” – the Captain states, regarding Brooks’ unrequited feelings for Abby.
“Nope! Apologies, it’s this way.” – Ichabod remarks, after leading Abby and Brooks in the wrong direction.
“Check your math, Adolph.” – the Captain tells the Hessian.


Okay, apologies for not posting this after the review of Almost Human, but I didn’t feel like watching this last night. Here it is, even though my Internet is currently down, so I don’t know when this will exactly be up…

No comments:

Post a Comment