Friday, October 18, 2013

The Vampire Diaries 5.03 Review: A Woman Scorned


For all those that have yet to watch tonight’s episode of The Vampire Diaries, entitled ‘Original Sin’, I suggest you go and do so now. As always, this is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
To start off, I have to just say how bad the writing has gotten in this series. Ever since Elena became a vampire (something I very much looked forward to), the writing has just gotten terrible. I honestly think that was the point the creators had planned up to, then they just threw Silas into things, which sounded interesting in the beginning, but has just become something terribly plotted out. Someone please tell me if I’m wrong, but I could’ve sworn that Elena – and Katherine – came into being to enact the curse on Klaus so that he’d be able to be his full badass hybrid self. Now they’ve added it into this whole doppelganger Silas story, where the universe has been trying to set up him and Elena for two thousand years. Do they not understand the whole continuity angle? Did someone at least watch the episode where they explain where Elena’s doppelganger lineage started?
Also, if Elena now stems from the handmaiden Amara, shouldn’t she come from the line of travellers as well? And boy was that a stupid addition to the series. They’ve honestly gone too far this time. Travellers are gypsies? Why? Still, I continue to watch, like a train wreck it is still captivating.
All the scenes set in Greece were badly done. While it was intriguing to learn this woman was Katsia, even her scenes in the past were badly filmed. Plus, Paul Wesley trying to play ancient Greek Silas, the guy just seemed like another version of Stefan. It was disappointing. Maybe that’s more to do with how bad the acting has gotten, than how bad those scenes were. Nina Dobrev’s differentiating Elena and Katherine too has grown bad. I figure Katherine used to enunciate differently, and was more facial movements than the subtle Elena, but it’s hard to see a difference between the two other than the hair sometimes. Zach Roerig’s portrayal of Matt, however, has grown much better. In the scene where he plays the Gregor character in his body, just splendidly done. Ian Somerhaulder, as always, was wonderful.
A few questions about the episode. Why couldn’t Stefan and Katherine end up together instead of Elena? Is it because the cure is in her veins? Does that mean she has to be drained dry for the cure to work? Or could any vampire or immortal that bit her or simply drank a bit of her blood become mortal again? That provides for a more lucrative story to go to, so I hope that’s the way the writers will choose to go. Disappointingly, I doubt it.
Must the writers continue to play this whole love triangle up? I know Elena and Damon are together now, and she made her choice, but by throwing in this whole destiny angle adds another obstacle that they didn’t quite need just yet. Basically it just feels like they’re trying to pander to the Stelena fans, when Delena works so much better. (Okay, yes, I’m a Delena fan, so maybe I’m biased.) Either way, there’s only so much back and forth love triangle the audience can take, and four seasons of it was enough. Do it again, and I’m done.
My rating: 6 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“Alright, play nice, or I’m gonna revisit the deep dark well idea.” – Damon tells Katherine.
“Okay, trains leaving the station. Choo, choo.” – Damon says to the room.
“Me too.” – Katherine blurts out, popping out of the back seat (which is probably funnier than the line).
“Fine, I was snooping.” – Katherine tells the traveller holding her captive. When you’re caught red-handed, best to own up to it.
“You are my life.” – Damon says to Elena, in a beautifully sweet moment between the two, before Stefan says he recalls neither of them.


Okay, I’ve made up my mind; Grey’s Anatomy is up first. After that it’s The Crazy Ones, and then smooth sailing from there. No Best Performances of the Week tonight, though, that’ll be up tomorrow. I’m going to do some writing, I think. Anyways, stick around for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment