Thursday, October 17, 2013

Nashville 2.04 Review: I'll Always Be Here For You


For all those that have yet to watch last night’s episode of Nashville, entitled ‘You’re No Angel’, I suggest you go and do so now. This is not, and has never been, a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! Proceed at your own discretion.
That was a beautiful episode. Sad at moments, realistic in others, disappointment towards the way characters are acting, and a very wholesome, family feel to the episode. Quite well done, if I say so myself. Perhaps it’s the enchanting cinematography, or the wondrous lighting, or merely the wonderfully fitting music, but this is a very well done drama series.
Raina is just a wonderful mom. No, she doesn’t always know what to do, or do the perfect thing for her children, but she tries her best to put them first and that’s all that we can ask of her. I see bits and pieces of my own mother in her, without the country vibe, and I just love that they’ve written her character so that family is very important to her. When it comes down to the important things, she’s a very good mom.
The Zoey character is something I’m very excited to see more of. The young woman has a beautiful voice, fit perfectly to the acoustics of that church. They didn’t quite mesh well with Scarlett’s in the scene at the bar, but what can you do? I know they’re saying her character is going to struggle more when it comes to a rise to fame and fortune, but I’m looking forward to the journey her character is going to undergo, as long as it’s a journey I get to see.
Not that it came as a shock, but I think the fact that Teddy proposed to Peggy provides a very compelling story moving forward. We know she’s not pregnant anymore, and it’ll be interesting to see how that truth comes about, but I’m looking forward to seeing the drama that this new family dynamic creates. The girls always had Deacon kind of around, so I don’t think it would’ve been much of a change to see Raina with him – though she is currently single – but seeing their father (though not biologically for Maddie) in a new relationship so quickly will be shocking for the kids. But again, that provides for some interesting storylines. Especially since Maddie is so worried that she’s going to be pushed out of this man that raised her’s life, being that she’s not biologically his. I could see Teddy almost forgetting about his two kids in search of a senatorial future, and life with his – no longer – baby mama.
Although Juliette’s depth only shines through towards other characters every so often, the way she was real with Raina in that scene with Maddie on the couch was astonishingly well done. As opposed to last year, I can actually stand her pop star antics, possibly because she’s no longer going head to head with Raina. That storyline got old a little fast, so I’m looking forward to this Juliette. She’s definitely easier to watch when you know more about where she’s coming from, and when she’s trying her hardest to be a legitimate artist, thus making sacrifices for it.
Maddie in this episode, while okay towards the end after meeting up with Juliette, was a tad too whiny earlier in the episode. She was a bit of a pain, complaining and whining constantly at the gala, and how disrespectful she was towards her grandmother at the cemetery. I get that she was angry with her mother, and later on with her dad, it was annoyingly unnecessary for her to take it out on everyone else. Though maybe I’m not one to judge, when I’ve had my moments. She is a teenager anyways. Oh, and about that, is it just me, or does she look about fifteen, not thirteen?
As usual, this was a very warm kind of episode. I loved the progression with the aforementioned characters, and also to see Gunnar and Avery’s scenes together as well. Avery’s a much better character this year. While not my absolute favourite series airing these days, this is a very good, heartwarming show to watch.
My rating: 8 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“I don’t know who I am without it.” – Raina tells her mother’s gravestone, about her fears of having lost her voice.
“This… This sucks!” – Juliette yells, storming off away from Raina who has just told her she won’t be returning to the tour.


All right, ladies and gents, I’m off to watch Revolution now. After that it’s American Horror Story: Coven. Stick around for more reviewing fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment