Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Blacklist 1.05 Review: Searching for the Truth can be a Troubling Time


All those that have yet to watch yesterday’s episode of The Blacklist, entitled ‘The Courier (No.85)’, then I suggest you go and do so now. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
The progression this series takes is a little quicker than I’d have expected. But still, I’m ridiculously curious to learn what is up with Keen’s husband. The man was able to put on such a brilliantly covered façade, until the entry of Reddington. I’m just curious to know why this case would have been deemed classified in the first place. What was the big deal about it?
As always, the music was brilliant; this series is always able to pick out the best songs for the right moments. The cinematography is also mostly good; I just found it was a little close to the characters faces at some moments. But that seems to be a technique most television is moving towards with the introduction of wide screen TVs.
There wasn’t as much great interaction between Keen and Donald this week, but she did have some good moments with Reddington. Particularly that last scene they shared, where she says she’s not sure why she’s there. I really do think he’s becoming – if not is – her father figure, in a weird kind of way. There relationship is moving towards a dependent familial bond, despite how they technically are on opposites sides of the law, even if one side is helping the other.
From the characters, I’m definitely interested in learning the more human side of Cooper (Harry Lennix’s character), although – despite the evilness – he will always be Boyd to me. And I’d definitely like to learn more about Donald’s character, and eventually see something between him and Keen, being that her husband is likely evil. Agent Meera Malik’s character is also quite intriguing, and I’d like to see what got her to become the hard-nosed CIA agent she is today.
As usual, this is a very tight series. While I’m not a fan of Robert Knepper, ever since Heroes he’s been way too creepy and looks like someone on drugs, this was a pretty good episode. I loved that Reddington used his only in with NSA database to learn more about Keen’s husband’s suspected murder victim. Not as good as other episodes, but I still am excited to watch more of this series.
My rating: 7.5 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“Speak of the Devil. It’s the Devil.” – Keen says to Donald, referring to Reddington.
“Luckily, we happen to have our own psychopath.” – Cooper states, also referring to Reddington.


Alright, I’m off to watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. now. That’ll be followed by (ugh) New Girl (which I’m only sticking around to watch until Coach comes back and subsequently leaves, please be soon), Trophy Wife, The Originals, and Supernatural. Not necessarily in that order. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment