Wednesday, October 23, 2013

The Originals 1.04 Review: Where Allegiances Lie


For any that have yet to watch last night’s episode of The Originals, entitled ‘Girl in New Orleans’, I suggest you go and do so now. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
For a series that isn’t the greatest thing to grace television, I sure don’t like it when the episode is done. Perhaps the characters provide for interesting dilemmas, or maybe it’s how much I really do love New Orleans, but either way this series is growing on me. The writing’s not great, and the actors are a little too pretty but it is a decent series to spend an hour a week watching. I only wish The Vampire Diaries was this intriguing still.
The character of Cami was given a fair amount of backstory this week. I have to say that I am intrigued by the acts her brother committed. Might I add how beautifully shot that brief flashback was? I also enjoyed the performance from the priest in this episode. While I saw it coming that he would ingest vervain, how broken up he was about the murders was quite moving. Again, can I just say how much I enjoy Hayley on this series as opposed to The Vampire Diaries? She’s a much better character, and actress, playing against all of these other characters. The way she acted in this episode was wonderful, killing her actors, and then fainting into Klaus’s arm at the end. Still, I’m curious to know why they want her dead. We got to see more of Davina this week, and she’s a perplexing character. I definitely want to know more in reference to her abilities and her background, as well as how her and Elijah will interact with each other.
This series is something of a guilty pleasure, but I don’t mind that. The actors are pretty, I’m still intrigued by what is going to happen, and I look forward to the episodes and the music each week. Sure, I could write circles around these writers, and there’s only so long this story will be able to survive, but for now it’s a nice easy watch each week. Not great, but good.
My rating: 7 out of 10.

Best Line:
“If I had a dollar for every mess my family’s gotten me into.” – Rebecca mutters.


Okay, I’m going to go take a break now. Check back in later for my review of Supernatural.

No comments:

Post a Comment