Monday, October 7, 2013

Revenge 3.02 Review: Sometimes it's Best to Forgive


Anyone that hasn’t watched last night’s episode of Revenge, entitled ‘Sin’, should go do so now, otherwise this blog may spoil the contents. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
I’m going to keep this review brief, as it’s five in the morning, and I’m exhausted. So, I’m going to just hit the highlights, and go from there.
Quite possibly my favourite character in this episode was Charlotte. Christa B. Allen has grown so much just in the evidence of the last two episodes. As a strong, young woman, she is appearing very empowered, and much deeper than the whiny brat of the last two seasons. I very much approve of this strong willed, quite better dress young woman. And just her confession that her guilt for Declan’s death is what she believes caused her miscarriage was rather breathtaking in execution.
For the first time in Revenge, I honestly felt bad for the gentleman being taken down in this episode. By all accounts, he appears to have tried to make as deep amends for his actions as he can, and when Emily struck him over the head I felt a sinking feeling in my gut. I so strongly wished she’d been able to detract her revenge scheme in time, but it was too late. I’m just glad she, though too late, felt that this red X was wrongfully enacted, and I look forward to her attempts to exonerate the man in future episodes, because I honestly liked this character.
The way they’re writing Jack this season, I’m not sure I’m happy about. I don’t really like how he’s reacted to finding out he did not marry his childhood sweetheart, and that she’s actually this revenge-seeking woman. It doesn’t feel genuine, it feels like his emotions keep getting tossed from one end of the spectrum to the other, as if he’s a hormonal woman. To me, it doesn’t feel like the writing is doing a good job of keeping Jack around in this series. I mean, what’s the point of keeping him here, if this is all he’s doing? I do hope he has more scenes with Charlotte, because those were good, but otherwise, he needs better development.
Patrick this episode was a little strange. I understood, but didn’t like the way he closed the door on Emily. I’m sure his mother has imparted her dislikes of the woman on him, but that’s a woman who tried to give him hush money to stay away. Why would he honestly take her opinion of people to heart? Also, what is with the incestuous vibes she often gives off to him? That relationship doesn’t seem like it’s going to end well, they’ve got a rather strange connection. It makes for interesting television, but it’s odd nonetheless. I did, however, like the dinner table exchange between them where he gets up to leave, and she puts shame on her family for their shortcomings toward Patrick.
One thing I really didn’t like about this episode was the way they’re writing Aiden, even more so than the way they’re writing Jack. I know the showrunner bumped him up to a regular last season, but there’s really no necessity in having him around. This is really just away to keep the actor, when it’s not at all genuine to the story, or the characters. Especially when the way he left last season gave me the impression he desperately wanted to get to Emily, not back at her. Remember Aiden, you’re the one that killed her mentor, and she’s not too handy with forgiveness.
Otherwise, the momentum of the episode wasn’t bad, as usual Nolan was awesome, I just almost wish there was a little more of him, and a little less Victoria. Please get rid of this Aiden scheme and I’ll be happy, as well as giving Jack an actual storyline. I really liked the guy in the first season, and as a fan of Roswell, I don’t want the actor gone.
My rating: 7 out of 10.


I’m off to bed now, to continue rereading the first Harry Potter book. Tune in tomorrow for reviews of Bones, How I Met Your Mother, Sleepy Hollow, and The Blacklist, not necessarily in that order.

No comments:

Post a Comment