Thursday, October 24, 2013

Once Upon A Time In Wonderland 1.03 Review: A Story of the Broken Hearted


Anyone that has yet to watch tonight’s episode of Once Upon A Time In Wonderland, titled ‘Forget Me Not’, then I suggest you go and so immediately. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! Proceed at your own discretion.
Well, from the beginning of the episode I kept thinking to myself, ‘Why am I still watching this?’ But then there are the tiny little nuggets of intrigue filtered throughout the episode and I remember why. Plus I find it difficult not to watch a spinoff show when I watch the mothership. I mean, what if there are crossover cameos?
Anyways, I’d like to state once again, and until it stops being horrendous, how terrible the CGI work on this series is, much worse than the original series. I mean really, does that trail Alice and the Knave keep ending up on have to look quite so ridiculous? Maleficent’s castle didn’t look quite so bad compared to that stabbing-my-eyes-with-brightness look to it, but that was also really bad. Where are they spending their budget on?
Still not liking Jafar all that much, he continues to look like someone acting the part rather than being the part, but the Red Queen is beginning to grow on me. But perhaps that is because she turned out to be the breaking of hearts Anastasia. I do have to say I picked up on that before the big reveal at the end of the episode, but only this week, especially when the Red Queen reacted to hearing that it was the Knave who was helping Alice. I am curious to learn how and why she betrayed Will, and if Anastasia actually is her name, like Will to the Knave.
Not a terrible episode, but still not great. I find myself thinking I could act out these characters better than some of these actors over the top performances, and I’m a writer. Then again, there are some nice points to the episode. I did guess that Grendel was the man in the frame with his wife before any of the other characters seemed to. I’m surprised Alice didn’t get that pretty much off the bat. Either way, I suppose I’ll keep watching, but like Trophy Wife you won’t see me crying if this series doesn’t get a second season.
My rating: 5.5 out of 10.

Best Line:
“I mean this as a friend, Alice. Sod off.” – the Knave tells Alice.


Okay, folks, I’m off to watch Grey’s Anatomy now. After that it’s The Crazy Ones, and if you’re lucky tonight the sixth edition of Best Performances of the Week.

No comments:

Post a Comment