Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Sleepy Hollow 1.04 Review: The Seventh Circle of Hell


This will serve as my only warning. Any that have yet to watch yesterday’s episode of Sleepy Hollow, titled ‘The Lesser Key of Solomon’, than now would be the time to do so. As always, this is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
This week’s episode of Sleepy Hollow was somewhat uneven. It feels like the writers keep trying to progress the story, but are stretching it in all directions to do so. The end result is a lot of things going on, and a story that bounces around from week to week. I know that this series has been renewed, and that means that we won’t be getting a back nine, just the original thirteen episodes each week, but that doesn’t mean they can’t take the time to develop the stories properly. With that it just means there’s no need for filler episodes, and I’m not saying we’ve gotten filler episodes, I’m just getting very confused where this series is going week to week.
One thing I do need to praise specifically about this episode was the astounding special effects. The scene in that building where the portal to the seventh circle of hell had astoundingly well done effects for television. The fire, and the look to the trapped demonic souls that almost looked like they were writhing under a watery blanket were both amazingly well put together. I’m surprised to see something so real looking on television.
Some of the characters seem to keep going back and forth. By his mannerisms this week, the Captain doesn’t seem so suspicious to me, like he did in the first episode. The sister this week feels far too included in the story so quickly, and I had the sneaking suspicion Crane was going to tell Abby the bible said she’d betray them, rather than the things we already knew about the demon Moloch.
I did quite enjoy the way this episode opened, with the flashback scene leading into the one where Crane sits in the car confessing to the OnStar woman his romantic woes. He does so very often create a humourous tone to scenes, something reminiscent of a Buffy the Vampire Slayer character.
While I can’t say I hated this episode, it wasn’t the greatest this series has done thus far. And as a big fan of Fringe, I expect more from the creators of the two series’. I will continue to tune in, and I do understand this is the first season, and that can often be quite harrowing territory, as the writers figure out how they’re going to handle things, but I hope for more from this series in future weeks.
My rating: 6.5 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“You all walk out of here, and I won’t redecorate this place with your face.” – Wendall, a guest character, tells this week’s villain.
“Imagine the delinquency we could perpetrate if we really put our minds to it.” Crane ponders, as Abby picks the lock of a cabin.
“They left without a farewell. How impolite.” – Crane humourously states.


All right, it’s time to catch up with this week’s episode of The Blacklist for me, then it’s dishes time. After that I’ll be checking out tonight’s episode of The Originals. To follow: New Girl, Trophy Wife, Supernatural, and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment