Thursday, October 24, 2013

Nashville 2.05 Review: The Voice is Back


All those that have yet to watch last night’s episode of Nashville, entitled ‘Don’t Open That Door’, then I suggest you do so immediately. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! Proceed at your own discretion.
I don’t know what it is about this series, but there’s such a heartwarming, dramatic feel to it. Perhaps it’s that it’s actually filmed in Nashville, that the music is beautiful, the acting superb, and the lighting to the episodes is just always so perfectly spot on. All of that wraps up together to make this series if not an A, at the very least an A- series to be watching.
Some of my absolute favourite moments from this episode definitely began with Scarlett’s ranting as she got home and Deacon smiling about it. The audience singing along to Raina’s song was just so spectacularly moving; it was like they were all boosting her up and giving her the faith she needed to make this comeback. I absolutely adored that song Scarlett and Deacon sang near the end of the episode, it reminded me of a song from A Walk to Remember, so beautiful, so upliftingly beautiful. And the fact that Deacon could at the very least play the piano along to that song was wonderful. Also, I’m not sure why, but when Avery and Gunnar popped up on screen singing together, I just burst out into laughter. Not laughing at them, per se, more laughing at how ridiculous that was thrown in there. But I do agree it sounded better with Zoey’s voice in it.
Teddy I just have to come out and say I don’t like at all, even less so than Lamar at this point and he possibly had a hand in his wife’s death. He’s so full of himself, after such little time in power, and so very misogynistic in my opinion. It’s hard to believe he was married to a woman as strongly female as Raina. And I know that it wasn’t him that turned Lamar in, but I kind of think he deserves to be taken down a peg for just plain insolence. But maybe that’s just because I don’t like him.
This episode, Raina’s given hope in thinking she’ll be able to take her current record and her record company out of Edgehill, but then her father is arrested and his assets frozen. I desperately want her to be able to strike out on her own, but sadly how can she possibly get twenty million dollars elsewhere so quickly? This just all came at the most inopportune moment for her, and I feel terrible for her.
Then there’s what Zoey and Gunnar did, more despicable in relation to Zoey being that she’s Scarlett’s best friend and she just broke the girl code. I saw the chemistry between them, but I honestly thought Gunnar was still in love with Scarlett; he moved on awfully fast for that to have been true. And Avery was picking up on those looks between them and just smiling because now he can have Scarlett back. I do think Avery has improved, but I’d prefer him to be in a meaningful relationship with Juliette, rather than back with Scarlett, but I suppose he needs to get her out of his system first. Again, though, I’m thinking it’s going to be bad when Scarlett finds out what the two of them did. If Gunnar had been thinking, he’d know sleeping with the best friend would take you out of the good graces of the ex pretty permanently. But then I suppose this is somewhat of a soap opera.
Basically what I’m saying is, while there are ups and downs to this series, it’s definitely a beautiful piece to be watching. The progression of characters stories is wonderfully done. Keeping an open mind each week definitely helps me to love this series more.
My rating: 8 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“I really think it’s time for Jeff Fordham to meet the Wyatt side of Raina James.” – Raina remarks.
“Some of it tolerable.” – Raina tells her sister; referencing the time she’s spent with Juliette.


Alright, folks, I’m off to watch Revolution. Then it’s American Horror Story: Coven and smooth sailing from there. Stick around.

No comments:

Post a Comment