Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The Originals 1.05 Review: The Significance of Davina


For all those that have yet to watch last night’s episode of The Originals, titled ‘Sinners and Saints’, I suggest that you go and do so now. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! Proceed at your own discretion.
Well, that hour was filled with a major amount of information and mythology, and so early on in the series. There wasn’t a lot of action or movement to this episode, but there was a lot learned and a lot of changes to the overall story. It makes me a little worried though, that all of this was given to us so early on in the season. Although, it was nice to finally have a timeline, even though I am skeptical about how brief a time it’s been. I would’ve believed a couple years to eight months, that’s such a short time for all that has happened and it makes it a little unbelievable.
I’m growing to absolutely adore Hayley’s character. Away from The Vampire Diaries, where she was kind of trying to steal Tyler away from Caroline, she was a pest that also kind of wedged herself between Klaus and Caroline (who I still believe could happen; can Caroline just jump over to this series next season or something?). But over on this series, in her search for her family and in kind of finding it with Klaus’s siblings, she’s beginning to grow into her very own character. She’s got a lot of backbone, and oh so much chemistry with Elijah. I am so glad that is the relationship they seem to be hinting at in the future, because about all Klaus and her have in common is the child growing in her uterus. Up until that slap she gave Elijah, the music just swelled brilliantly into that squeal inducing moment. Their eye contact with each other, it’s just incredibly obvious… And now I have a new favourite pairing to cheer for on this series Eliley (you got that here first! I’m also considering Elijley, just because it reminds me of allegedly in pronunciation).
Okay, the one thing I have issues with technically in this episode, is that Jane Anne is supposed to be the mother of sixteen-year-old (eight months deceased) Monique, but she barely looks older than thirty. Is she supposed to be a young mother, or does she just look younger than she’s supposed to play? Maybe it’s how warped my brain is with television where twenty-plus year olds play teenagers that I can’t tell what age someone is supposed to be playing anymore… Usually I can tell pretty easily around what age someone is, and Jane Anne just did not look old enough. Also, even if she is supposed to be nearly forty – or around there – there’s no way Sophie is older than thirty.
For the most part, I’m a big fan of the episodes that give us information jam packed in them. It feels like we’ve earned it and that it’s justified, and that we don’t need to wait indefinitely for the answers. This episode, however, was a little pre-emptive; I would’ve given it a couple more episodes before we got the full answers. And also, I would’ve waited more than an episode to learn who had caused Cami’s brother to commit a massacre. It hadn’t even been a full episode before we found out. Still, I did enjoy this episode immensely, I’m just worried too much may have been given away.
So who do you think is in the right? Should Davina be killed in hopes that it brings all of them back to life, and replenishes their power? Or should Davina be hidden away until it’s too late to complete the Harvest, and thus guarantee at least she survives, but all the witches become human? I don’t think there’s anyway the witches will lose their power, but I’m not sure how all of this will play out. I’m not even sure what the honourable Elijah plans to do, he is big on family, but he’s also big on honouring his word.
My rating: 7.5 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“Or to, you know, that.” – Klaus says, unable to say the actual word of whose child Hayley is carrying, and just calls it ‘that’ when referring to not wanting it to be endangered.
“Oh, right.” – Rebekka recalls, after offering Hayley a drink in their bonding moment, but remembers that she’s pregnant.


So, I’m off to watch Supernatural now. Stick around.

No comments:

Post a Comment