Tuesday, October 15, 2013

New Girl 3.05 Review: Money Complicates Things


For all those that have yet to watch tonight’s episode of New Girl, entitled ‘The Box’, then I suggest you do so now. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! Proceed at your own discretion.
This episode made me more mad than it did make me laugh. The stupidity of Nick getting money from his dad’s estate, and thinking he didn’t have to pay his bills, pay his taxes, or worry about anything he didn’t want to do. That was just incredibly moronic storytelling. Is that what these writers think they should be putting out there? There are better, funnier ways of making someone look like they haven’t grown up, and thinking they didn’t have a responsibility to anything they didn’t want to do, was just plain ridiculous. You’re honestly making me hate Nick Miller. Really, what the hell is your problem? And just the idea that Jess should feel she’s in the wrong for sending in money to pay these bills was dumb as a post. Plus, wouldn’t he have gone to jail for not paying his taxes?
The other thing about this episode that made me angry was just the way they played up Schmidt’s self-centered arrogance. He’s going around wanting to be called a good man, when a good man wouldn’t be thinking solely of themself. Schmidt’s ridiculousness can be quite funny at times, but this was definitely not the episode. Honestly, whoever wrote this episode needs to go sit in a corner and be beaten until they realize they’re not funny. Okay, maybe that’s overkill, but that’s how strongly unfunny this episode was.
About the only scenes I did like were between Jess and Winston, and the scene at the end where Winston gives Schmidt the candelabra. The conversation between them about genies and wishes was the only hilarious moment in this episode. I really think Winston is the only thing keeping me watching this ever growingly moronic series.
My rating: 5.5 out of 10.


All right, I’m off to watch Trophy Wife, and hopefully that can actually make me laugh. Then it’s Supernatural, and finally The Originals. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment