Friday, October 18, 2013

The Crazy Ones 1.04 Review: Creative Time Crunch


For all those that have yet to watch last night’s episode of The Crazy Ones, entitled ‘Breakfast Burrito Club’, then I suggest you go and do so now. As always, this is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
I love this show. This has probably become my favourite new sitcom of the season, mind you I’ve only watched three, and one of them I stopped watching after two episodes (Brooklyn Nine-Nine). Still, the easy comedy that comes out of these actors, both established and not, is quite lucrative. And the fast paced world of advertising is perfectly placed in a city such as New York.
A few of my favourite comedic moments in this episode were seeing how much of a workaholic Sydney is, and how she was being forced to go on vacation to Hawaii. Her ability to draw flawless circles, which is completely ridiculous in real life, but this is a sitcom, and it’s not completely out there. Also, Zack’s crush on the girl Natalie, feelings he’s not used to having. And then there was Lauren’s psychotic poetry about her ex Charlie. Simple but brilliant comedy, which is what I find is true of the most successful sitcoms.
It was good to see an episode more focused around Sydney, rather than her father Simon. Good to know that this series will be able to revolve around each of these characters, from week to week. Sarah Michelle Gellar’s comedic bones are beginning to shine, and I have to say that I’m liking it so far. This makes me excited to be able to eventually see episodes that focus on Zack, Lauren, and Andrew. While I know Simon and Sydney will pull more attention to them, it’s good to see how great the ensemble cast is.
I have to say that I’m surprised they threw in that moment with Sydney and Andrew this episode. While it was easy to see the weird back and forth chemistry in this episode between them, I really thought this series was going to eventually lead to Zack and Sydney being together. That may still happen in the future, but it doesn’t really seem likely anymore, or even after watching the first episode. I know this is a series about a family workplace environment, but it’s nice to see some kinds of romance popping up every now and again.
This sitcom is definitely my favourite newbie, possibly even my favourite sitcom altogether, although there’s not much competition currently on television these days. I really like to see the family unit these guys fit into the workplace. It’s great to see that not everyone is constantly bickering behind each other’s backs. Really looking forward to seeing this series grow.
My rating: 7.5 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“You better be in love with her, after that pointless story you made us listen to.” – Andrew tells Zack.
“Suburban murder-suicide.” – Lauren expresses where she thinks love leads.
“She makes me less tall?” – Andrew questions Sydney.
“We discuss our feelings while we quilt.” – Andrew says of his sisters and him.
“How do I make her stop talking?” – Zack asks. “Marry her.” – Simon responds.


All right, people, that’s all for tonight. Check back in tomorrow for my fifth edition of Best Performances of the Week, and my review of Haven. Otherwise I’m off to let my head dethaw from all this numbness.

No comments:

Post a Comment