Friday, October 11, 2013

The Crazy Ones 1.03 Review: An Unconventional Relationship


If you haven’t watched last night’s episode of The Crazy Ones, entitled ‘Bad Dad’, then now would be a good time to do so. This has never been and is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
I really like this sitcom. It has a heartwarming family vibe, with great workplace chemistry inserted into it. This is shaping up to be the best new sitcom of the season.
Robin Williams and Sarah Michelle Gellar just have an amazing familial connection. I really feel that these two are a father-daughter team. They understand each other and love each other, despite their faults, and that genuinely comes across on the screen.
Gellar is also beginning to find a nice little niche in this comedy, versus her other long-running character (*cough*in the best series ever*cough*). This episode focused a little more on the relationship between her and Williams’ character, and that made her able to highlight who this character is, just as quirky and nutty as her father.
As always James Wolk and Hamish Linklater were hilarious, in their own respective ways. There was less of Wolk in this episode than the last two, and we got to see more of Linklater’s character and who he is, so that was nice little switch up.
But it was Amanda Setton’s character Lauren that really got beefed up in this episode. I like seeing she can hold her own, especially on a series other than Gossip Girl. I’m definitely happy to see her apart of this cast, she’s great in the supportive secretary role.
This episode definitely deepened who each of these characters are. It’s good to know that a certain level of depth can be reached in this sitcom, which is what has helped the greats like Friends and How I Met Your Mother last so long. While that amount of depth wasn’t exactly in this episode, there was a certain amount of character progression.
Overall I really do like this series, so I really hope it gets a full season pick up. It appears it’s holding its own in the 9:30 Thursday time slot, so it should be okay, especially since it is a sitcom. I really hope this series gets a second season two, but we’ll have to wait and see how the rest of the season goes first.

Best Lines:
“You don’t like being corrected.” – Lauren says to Sydney, after learning she has a woman’s name wrong.
“I’m trying to be here for you, but it’s not easy.” – Sydney explains to Zach.
The entire colonoscopy segment, which was too long to copy down.
“Are all my mugs lies? Do I actually like Monday’s?” – Simon reflects, after learning he’s kind of a bad dad.


Okay, that’s it for this review. There were a lot more lines I loved, but I’d be pausing this show every two seconds if I copied down all the good ones.
I’m off to watch Once Upon A Time In Wonderland, then I’m going to try to catch Grey’s Anatomy, but no promises on a review for that, I’m quite tired at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment