Thursday, October 17, 2013

Revolution 2.04 Review: You Can't Fix Everything, But You Can Try


Anyone that has yet to watch last night’s episode of Revolution, entitled ‘Patriot Games’, then I suggest you either do so now, or back away from the screen. As always, this not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
Decent episode this week. I really liked the way it opened, with Charlie in the bar. She would’ve been able to take the four men (okay, probably), but one of them had slipped something in her drink. But, yay, Monroe to the rescue! Possibly my favourite still of the episode, Monroe after having just burst into the room, breaking the lock on the door. That whole scene of him slicing and dicing those men, simply fantastic.
My favourite scenes in each episode are still the ones between Monroe and Charlie, but there doesn’t seem to be enough of them. There’s a strange sort of chemistry to them that I just adore. But from the looks of the promo for next week, the writers are going to go back to the chemistry between Rachel and him. Can I just say, ugh? This series is beginning to focus too much on Rachel.
That was my problem with this episode, too much Rachel. I preferred her a little more last season, when the focus wasn’t largely surrounding her. I get, she’s a genius (or at least she comes across as one), but she’s a little annoying that way. Plus, she kind of walks like a caveman, but that’s beside the point. I just, I don’t like that the last few episodes have focused a large part on her. I wouldn’t mind it so much if it was every few episodes, but it’s like the writers are giving her more attention in exchange for Charlie’s time, and I prefer Charlie scenes.
Back to the episode, while Neville is a ridiculously amazing liar (and really needs to give Rachel some tips), Rachel is not. In that scene with Ken, it was so obvious, even to the casual observer, that she’d noticed something wrong with the situation and was trying to get out of it. But instead of knocking Ken out with that fire stick, she decides it’s better to blind him. In his own place of business. Where he’d know the layout much better than her. Even in the dark. Still, commendable of her for pulling the ol’ break the thumb to get out of the handcuffs. I don’t know if I could manage through that kind of pain on myself, even with imminent death on the horizon, but who knows?
I have to say, I was a little disappointed with how Ken turned out. The last few episodes he seemed so suspicious and observant, and he just turns out to be a Patriot. Definitely leaves the audience with the desire to suspect any our core characters come into contact with, but I wish he’d been able to stick around for a little while. Plus, I kind of liked the guy. But you never know what people are hiding; I suppose that’s what the writers are trying to teach us.
Another thing, while Titus died during this hour of television for sure, I could’ve sworn he’d been killed last week. Hadn’t the man he’d spoke of as Judas stabbed him or something? Perhaps his death was not depicted on screen, but it appeared pretty damn obvious it was about to happen. Maybe the guy had just meant to take him to the train, to be killed off in due time. I don’t know, I just felt like he’d been killed and was disappointed he hadn’t had a more integral story.
This whole façade the Patriots are clinging to hide the fact that they are controlling the people of Willoughby is very well planned out. Isn’t that the fear of the many, that we who have clung to freedom will end up losing it? Maybe that’s just for those that have fought in war for our freedom, but I know it is depicted a lot in novels and young adult books. Anyway you put, the way it’s being written is quite well done and thought out.
So, Aaron is able to see through the eyes of the fireflies and control the things in the air that stopped the power, but has no way of controlling that ability. I’m not sure how I feel about this new development. It’s a little too out there, in relation to this show. I was able to get behind them bringing Aaron back to life, because I really didn’t want him to be dead, but this is a little too far of a reach. But we’ll see how it develops.
While this was a little too much the same in respect to the last weeks, and I’d expected a bit more development by now, I am excited for next week. This series does remain my favourite returning series of all.
My rating: 7.5 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“You can’t fix everything.” – Rachel’s dad tells her.
“Can you make your eyes water like that, just… at will?” – Charlie asks Monroe, after he puts on the waterworks about his past misdeeds.
“Where. Is. My. Son?” – Neville enunciates.


Okay, folks, I’m off to go watch American Horror Story: Coven. Stay tuned for the review of that in about an hour or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment