Thursday, October 10, 2013

Revolution 2.03 Review: Love is a Battlefield


This is a warning. If you haven’t watched last night’s episode of Revolution, titled ‘Love Story’, then please exit the screen. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
While I always have a lot to say about this series, at least the last two episodes, I’m going to have to keep this short. I have to work in just over nine hours, and I still have the season premiere of American Horror Story: Coven to watch. So, here goes, in as concise a way as I can make it.
This was a great episode, but then again, this season is shaping up to be even better than last year. Lines are being blurred, new enemies are emerging, it’s just turning out so well. The first thing I have to remark on for this episode is how great an opening shot that was. The little ballerina spinning in the jewelry box, it’s so eerie and yet perfect for capturing the essence in the scene. Also, it reminds me of the jewelry box I used to have.
The only to faults I can see in this episode were that there was a brief commercial that showed pivotal clips of Rachel being shot by an arrow from further on in the episode. I hate when shows spoil what’s about to come up, it’s what is so incredibly stupid about the TLC network. The other fault was that, while it worked good for the episode, there wasn’t enough Charlie in it, and definitely not enough Charlie and Monroe. Can I please have more scenes with the two of them in it? Okay, so maybe that second fault was really just my favouriting Charlie.
The writing for this episode was incredibly smart. I can already see the pieces coming together, specifically surrounding the Patriots. There so obviously evil, but they’re maneuvering it so everyone thinks they’re the saviours. But I definitely saw how suspicious Miles was of the too coincidental rescue at the end. The other great writing was surrounding the Neville scenes. Giancarlo Esposito is a phenomenal actor, and he’s given such rich context to work with. The way they’ve written his character, which is performed so superbly, he’s just an amazing actor and thinks so well on his feet.
It was so heartbreaking, yet warming at the same time, that brief hug between Miles and Rachel. They so obviously love each other, I honestly wonder why she married his brother. And also, I’m still really curious to know if Charlie’s his daughter, because he was awfully protective her, versus not as much protective of Danny. Though that could also be due to her resemblance to her mother. But I still really like how much they care about each other. And how weirdly Monroe still cares for all of them, despite them trying to kill each other all last season.
Overall, this episode was well written, well acted, and well shot. I look forward to this season ever increasingly, and desperately hope this gem of a show gets a third season.  This is honestly my favourite returning series so far. Mind you, I haven’t watched American Horror Story: Coven yet, but still. If anything, people really need to be watching this show, but I just think it fit better in the ten o’clock time slot.
My rating: 8 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“I realize I sound fairly stupid.” – Aaron explains to Cynthia.
“I’m not Harry Potter, okay! I’m an agnostic Jew from Minnesota.” – Aaron says.
“Granted, now it’s sooner.” – Miles relating to the sooner rather than later army outside.
“I’ve still got one good hand left.” – Miles states rather well.
“This is me smiling.”
“That’s exactly what I said to my dad the day I told him it was okay to die.” – Aaron says to Rachel. He genuinely has the best lines.


Okay, not too bad, a little over twenty minutes to write that, but oh well. I’m off to watch American Horror Story: Coven now, and then sleepy time. No review of that tonight, you’ll get that and a review for Nashville tomorrow. Along with reviews for The Vampire Diaries, Grey’s Anatomy, The Crazy Ones, and Once Upon A Time In Wonderland. Plus the fourth edition of Best Performances of the Week.

No comments:

Post a Comment