Thursday, December 5, 2013

American Horror Story: Coven 3.08 Review: Working Together


Anyone that has yet to watch last night’s episode of American Horror Story: Coven, titled ‘The Sacred Taking’, that is what I suggest you go and do now, before proceeding ahead. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
There are so many sides to this series this season, it’s almost difficult to keep track. You’ve got the witches that everyone is – or at least I am – rooting for, then you’ve got the voodoo side where I only really like Marie Laveau, and then there’s Cordelia’s husband who is a witch hunter. Okay, so there are only three sides, but there are a lot of characters that go back and forth between them all. One of which is the witch/voodoo crossover kind of character Queenie. She’s one character I really can’t stand this season, a) because she’s grotesquely large, b) because she’s so damned whiny, and c) because she’s this selfish, oh woe is me kind of character that thinks she deserves more than everyone else – those kinds of characters really piss me off.
This episode, for the most part, really worked for me this week. We finally got to see most of our witch characters (including Misty Day) work together for once. I really enjoyed seeing the coven work together to bring Fiona down, and I’m very much looking forward to seeing all of them work together against the Voodoo priestesses. And I’m especially glad Fiona didn’t go all raging Supreme on them all for trying to take her down.
All in all, aside from a few choice cinematographic shots, this was a very well done, well-written episode. Despite how much I don’t like Queenie, I still really enjoyed the opening scene, and the storytelling that it brought with it. Seeing Kyle’s face light up with amazement when Zoe covered his ears with the headphones was beautiful, as well as when he managed to tell her he loved her, which also brought wonderful storytelling with it as Madison listened in, in tears. This episode had a great use of red, as Madison wore that colour dress to facilitate Fiona’s killing herself. Such a shocking use of the colour against the mostly black and white of that scene. This episode really had a lot going for it, despite it, or this season, living up to the Horror in its title.
My rating: 7.5 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“Maybe it’s a good thing you’re blind as a butter knife.” – Myrtle Snow relates to Cordelia.
“God knows it’s not getting any action from you, grandma.” – Madison remarks, regarding Fiona’s bed.
“I’m going to bring marshmallows and graham crackers to make smores.” – Madison explains what she’ll do when they bring Fiona to be burned for her crimes of killing another witch.


My apologies for not posting this yesterday, but here it is now. I’m off to watch The Vampire Diaries now, and afterwards Once Upon A Time in Wonderland, Grey’s Anatomy, and The Crazy Ones. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment