Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Sleepy Hollow 1.10 Review: The Price of Living


Anyone that has yet to watch Monday night’s episode of Sleepy Hollow, entitled ‘The Golem’, this would be the time to do that. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! Proceed at your own discretion.
In my opinion, this week’s episode was incredibly well done. And I say that, despite having to watch it on the Internet because my stupid DVR skipped the recording. This was the perfect continuation of last week’s episode, where Ichabod learned he had a son. We actually got to see a bit of what happened to the boy, and what his name was. The only thing I do have to say, is that his death better not mean they’re done with his character because you cannot just drop a bombshell like that one week, and then just expect nothing more of it the next. I think that the season finale should have the hex lifted to stop his heart, and he’ll be alive for next year, but more neatly written then that.
Alright, so I realize everyone is feeling like Abby and Ichabod, because they are the two witnesses and because of their “chemistry”, is a couple worth shipping, but I am still adamant that they don’t work that way. Ichabod just has way too much chemistry with Katrina for there to be any other woman in his life, romantically speaking. I mean, did no one see these two and their ability to convey such passion between them when they’re in purgatory? And even if Katrina were to eventually die, I don’t see Abby and Ichabod working out as couple, even though they’re the only two they can share their fate with because they have very little chemistry in a romantic capacity. They work brilliantly as friends, and wonderfully as partners, but if they were to start up a relationship it would seem more as one of convenience. Okay, that’s all I’ll see; I’ve made my peace with it now, I think.
When it comes to the characters and the acting, I have to say that Ichabod is brilliant, and someone I constantly want to listen to speak – both because of his accent and his eloquent use of the English language… Why can’t people speak like that these days? Anyways, I also think Irving is my third favourite character (behind Ichabod and Katrina), and that Orlando Jones plays him superbly. My one problem with this series lies with Abby. I just find that her use of tone grates with me and doesn’t make her acting anymore natural – and it wasn’t seeming that way to begin with. And while she didn’t seem to do it nearly as much this week (yay, improvement!), she definitely is one to overact with her facial movements. It’s very distracting having her on screen sometimes; she may even be my least favourite character of this series. Also, I’m still having trouble differentiating Henry Parrish from Walter. I just… don’t think his character is as good, or as unique as he could be.
All in all, this was a very enjoyable episode. I loved the rush to find out what had happened to Ichabod’s son, and then the grief in having to let him go. Also, I really enjoyed Irving’s interactions with his ex-wife, and his apology to her, and especially his daughter (played by the lovely Amandla Stenberg, whose acting abilities will really take her places). This series can definitely be a hit and miss each week, particularly with its pacing of the story, but for the most part I think it was very adept at getting the point across this week. Although, I do think they seemed to wrap up what happened to the son rather quickly, but there are only two episodes left in the season, and that does make for a need to rush. Sure, twenty-two episodes may have meant a few filler episodes, but this twelve episode business is not making the story any tighter, and just increases the need for rushing progression, and I really think that detracts from the overall story. Also, I’m not really caring that it seems Moloch is going after Abby’s soul; I kind of couldn’t care less about her character. Honestly, her sister is kind of more interesting than she is.
My rating: 8 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“If your God has a plan, who’s it for – me or Him?” – Irving asks.
“Without books we have neither a past or a future.” – Ichabod states.
“That is not a choice you were given, my friend.” – Henry tells Ichabod.
“When did irony become a national pastime?” – Ichabod questions.
“You’ve embroidered my name on some oversized hosiery, how… odd.” – Ichabod remarks, regarding the Christmas stocking.


Okay, so I’m going to probably watch Trophy Wife and then call it quits tonight. I am so exhausted still, and this headache is threatening to become a migraine, so I’ll probably make it quick. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment