Monday, December 9, 2013

Revenge 3.09 Review: On the Precipice


For any of those that have yet to watch last night’s episode of Revenge, titled ‘Surrender’, now would be the time to go and do that. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! Proceed at your own discretion.
Well, that was a much better winter penultimate episode than Once Upon A Time’s. I almost feel bad for Daniel and Sarah, because of Emily’s scheming the two lovebirds obviously cannot be with each other, but then I remember than Daniel knows all about what was done to David Clarke, and I get over it.
While I do feel like Daniel’s acting in the beginning of the episode demonstrated so transparently that he was in love with Sarah and his feelings for Emily were less strong, that turned around about halfway through the episode. Just that confrontation between Daniel and Victoria helped to cement that he had some love-based feelings for Emily. The amount of passion he exhibited were phenomenally well done, so much so that it’s hard to believe that Joshua Bowman is tired of playing this back and forth role – although I do agree his character has been the least consistent throughout this series. Again, these are the emotions that I love to see, anything with passion thrown behind it.
Now, up until the point where Daniel made his decision – and come on, we all knew he would choose Emily – his back and forth with Sarah before she knew, I definitely agreed with the way she told him she would not be the other woman. That was definitely a ‘Go Sarah!’ kind of moment. Also, afterwards, I unequivocally believe that the way Charlotte spoke to her mother was undoubtedly fitting for the situation. I am so glad that Charlotte was able to come to her senses and see that Daniel and Emily needed one another. That moment where she tries to reason with her mother, and tells her she’s done meddling was wonderfully mature – something not adamant in Victoria’s own actions.
A couple other things to note, one being that Lydia looked really good, despite how disappointed I am by the way she came back. I expected a little more than just her getting back into bed with Conrad, but I suppose she isn’t quite done with Emily. The other thing was how beautiful a moment that was between Emily – or really, Amanda Clarke – and Aiden. That was such a beautiful proposal, regardless of the fact that I still kind of wish Emily would be with Jack. But then, with this moment between the two actually engaged couple, I am beginning to see how much they do fit together. But who knows how this series will end up?
All in all, this was a pretty good episode. It had lots of drama, which I love, and had a decent amount of emotion and passion behind the characters. This is most assuredly the Charlotte that I love as a character, and Daniel even managed to have his moments. Hell, even Emily had her time with Aiden near the end that actually made me enjoy her character’s emotional arc for once. Basically, this was a good episode, but certainly not great.
My rating: 7.5 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“I’ve had handbags bigger than that room.” – Lydia speaks of the motel room Margaux had put her up in.
“And now he’s marrying that charlatan.” – Victoria remarks, regarding Daniel and Emily’s approaching nuptials.
“Probably. Just not as well.” – Margaux comments, referencing Jack and her phone call.
“What every pretty blonde that comes to the Hamptons wants: revenge.” – Nolan informs Aiden of Lydia’s intentions.
“I don’t know whether to be impressed, or terrified.” – Nolan remarks, concerning Jack.
“I’d be dead if it weren’t for your wife’s momentary lapse of evil.” – Lydia explains to Conrad.
“This family is so predictable. When threatened, each Grayson has their own retreat, like a turtle shell.” – Charlotte remarks.
“I guess I’m going to have to get a new hobby. (Pause) What are your thoughts on spelunking?” – Nolan asks Emily.





All right, folks, that’ll be all for tonight. Check back in tomorrow for more reviews of Almost Human and Sleepy Hollow.

No comments:

Post a Comment