Sunday, December 8, 2013

Haven 4.12 Review: Knowing Who You Are


For all those that have yet to watch Friday night’s episode of Haven, entitled ‘When the Bough Breaks’, now would be a good time to go and do that. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
Well, I expected a little more from the penultimate episode of the season. First of all, I’m still not impressed by this whole business of making Jennifer such a significant character. And the fact that all she’s basically able to do is open the damn door is a little ridiculous. It could make sense, regarding how she was the one that could hear inside the Barn, but it wasn’t explained anywhere near as well as it should have, if that were the case.
Secondly, I expected more than just a crying baby would be the undoing of Audrey. Okay, the ridiculousness of that is, couldn’t they have just taken the handprint off the baby? Instead, Audrey intends to give Duke back his family curse and kill the father. If that were all it would take, why wouldn’t Audrey ask him to kill her? Haven’t there been enough deaths for her to feel self-sacrificial? Chances are it would end the Troubles, and also end William, so I don’t get it. I am really looking forward to being able to meet whoever Audrey was to begin with, but I feel like they might end it on more of that cliffhanger business that has grown so frustratingly long.
One thing I really did love was Vince and Dave. These two brothers are fantastic together. Although, I do have to say that it took an awfully long time for them to tell us Dave was adopted. I did suspect something remiss, because they didn’t seem to have the one Trouble, but I wasn’t much expecting him to be adopted. I would be curious to learn what happened with both his, and Jennifer’s biological parents. But again, I just love the two brothers.
All in all, this was a decent outing for this series. Again, I did expect a little more than what was given, but this season has been a bit of a hit and miss. This episode did really demonstrate to me the chemistry between Duke and Audrey, way more than Jennifer and Duke have, and more understanding than Audrey and Nathan have. Either I’m going crazy, or these are the two that should be together, particularly evidenced by the alternate reality episode. But, anyways, like I said, this was an okay episode, but nothing fantastic for a penultimate episode.
My rating: 7 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“You didn’t tell me you ate the last of the marmalade last night.” – Vince says. “That’s not the same thing, Vince.” – Dave replies.
“You were always such a clever Trouble maker.” – William states, regarding Audrey.
“Well, that explains a lot.” – Duke mutters, relating to Vince and Dave.
“But, if you ask me, I think the baby did it.” – William says, mockingly shocked.
“Come any closer and I’ll punch you in the face. It’ll be worth my own black eye.” – Audrey threatens William.
“I knew it! You said you quit smoking five years ago.” – Vince exclaims, regarding Dave’s having matches.




All right, folks, that’ll be all for tonight. Check in tomorrow for reviews of Once Upon A Time and Revenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment