Sunday, December 8, 2013

Bones 9.11 Review: The Many Ways We Grieve


Anyone that has yet to watch Friday night’s episode of Bones, entitled ‘The Spark in the Park’, that is what I suggest you go and do now before proceeding ahead. For this is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
I have to say that I really enjoyed Brennan in this episode. The amount of emotions she was able to demonstrate just based on her parallels with the victim’s father this week was wonderful. It’s been a while since we’ve been able to see her character really show an array of emotions, and I always enjoy it when that is really able to come through on screen. This kind of Brennan is more of what I really want to see of her character, not the Brennan that is almost completely pulled back from everyone or always happy. Getting to see the complete scale of emotions is what I like.
Booth, on the other hand, I felt was very much an ass in this episode. I understand that he is an FBI agent trying to find the murderer, but he was way too hard on the father when even I could see that the man was grieving. For someone that is able to figure out people, he wasn’t really able to use that skill when it came to the professor. Sure, it may have been partly because the man is similar to Brennan in that they grieve strangely compared to the average person, but I almost felt that his character did that so that Brennan would be the one to take an interest. In that case, it is okay, but still not natural to Booth’s character.
This week, Cam was able to confront the woman that stole her identity. For such an intricate problem to be given to this character, the whole reason behind why the woman had stolen Cam’s identity, the woman that had been her friend in college, was kind of ridiculous. I expected more from this story than what panned out. Also, Cam really needs to grow her hair an inch longer, or at the very least half an inch.
All in all, this was an enjoyable episode. This series is becoming a bit too ludicrous for my liking, but it does have its moments. There is a lot of humour to this series now, and almost too much happiness for these characters that it becomes a little plain. I really think that this series needs more depth going forward, if it wants to continue on one more season passed this one.
My rating: 7 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“Do you really think I care if she sits in there for a while?” – Booth asks Cam, regarding the woman that stole her identity.
“I’m more of a wrath and vengeance type.” – Cam relates to Arastoo.
“That’s a gross oversimplification.” – Brennan says.
“Yes! I’m never wrong about an identification.” – Brennan states.


Okay, so apologies for not getting this up yesterday, I would’ve had to choose between watching this, or Haven, if I did that, but I really wanted to watch both, so I picked watching yesterday, reviewing today. So here this is. Stay tuned for my review of Haven, coming up next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment