Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Trophy Wife 1.09 Review: Payback, Set-ups, and Relationships


Anyone that has yet to watch tonight’s episode of Trophy Wife, entitled ‘Russ Bradley Morrison’, now would be a good time to go and do that. For this is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
So this series seems to be shaping up to becoming a nice, light, family friendly sitcom. This episode was not exception. Kate ended up having to chaperone Warren’s museum trip – alongside Diane. This caused her to try and set Diane up to “get some”, which revealed that she was actually dating the man, and had been for two years. Honestly, if it were me, I would want to be able to tell people I was dating someone, if it had been that long. But Diane’s neurotic and dislikes failure, so there’s some trouble there for her.
Elsewhere, to get back at Pete, who had become sick, for knowingly letting Kate take over chaperoning duties with none other than Diane, Kate sicked Jackie on Pete. Now, as someone who normally enjoys Jackie’s character and all her ridiculousness, and for most of the episode I did, it became a little repetitive towards the end of the episode. I’m finding that her lack of desire to work is becoming a bit bothersome, and her character annoying. Hopefully this is just a one-time occurrence because I find this show nice and comical.
The third storyline of the episode was between Hillary, Bert, and Bert’s teacher. I have to say that I really enjoyed getting to see Hillary and Bert interact one on one because I don’t think we’ve seen much of that before. And I definitely enjoyed Hillary standing up for herself as being a go-getter, not a suck up. That being said, these characters have become a little too perfect in their problems. They’re seeming a little too superficial for my liking, and I’d really like to see just a bit of drama and depth to them. I realize this is a sitcom, but I believe that could be balanced in well.
All in all, this is a very easy sitcom. There’s not too much brainpower needed, but it’s not dumb funny – which I hate – either. There also isn’t a whole lot of preparation needed to watch this series, or much that needs remembering on a week-to-week basis. This is definitely an easy series for me to watch each week, and with my bad memory sometimes not needing to recall every little detail is a good thing.
My rating: 7 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“Nobody cares about sophomores.” – Pete states, regarding the fact that he could still chaperone, despite being sick.
“I see your Diane and I raise you a Jackie.” – Kate mutters to Pete.
“She called me a suck up?” – Hillary mutters to herself, insulted.
“I want you.” – Diane whispers. “Take me.” – Russ whispers back. “Ew.” – Kate retorts.

Okay, I’m going to go review Supernatural now, and don’t expect a happy review of that. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment