Tuesday, December 3, 2013

How I Met Your Mother 9.12 Review: Life is Full of Surprises


Anyone that has yet to watch last night’s episode of How I Met Your Mother, entitled ‘The Rehearsal Dinner’, now would be a good time to go and do that. For this is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! Proceed at your own discretion.
This is going to be short and sweet, because I am very tired, and I have two more reviews to catch up on, so here goes.
Last night’s episode was much better than the episode before it, mostly because it didn’t have anything to do with rhymes. Honestly, I have no plans to ever rewatch that episode; it was terrible. But anyways, I really enjoyed how flashback heavy this episode was, particularly the flashback sequence where the gang all spits off the many bad ideas Barney has had. I’m definitely happiest when there are more flashbacks in an episode, so that I get to see the gang in New York City, versus the terribly situated inn where the wedding is being held.
That being said, this series is about halfway through its final season and only twenty-two hours are left until the wedding, and it’s feeling a bit hokey. As anyone that has read my previous reviews regarding this season will know, I’m still not happy with the way this season is going. It just feels like it’s dragging on and going nowhere. This is all just a bit too much for me. All of this could honestly have been settled in a handful of episodes.
My biggest problem with this season is not that everything is occurring over this one, really long, weekend, but more so that almost all of the episodes have felt like unnecessary filler. We really didn’t need that one poker episode, or most of the terribly done Halloween episode. We also didn’t need to include Anna Camp’s character, or the Friday night cocktails where Ted chose a woman unwisely. A lot of these things were completely unnecessary, so much so that I’ve only really liked about three or four episodes this season. It really is disappointing.
All in all, I’m wishing that the writers would pick up the pace a bit and get to the juicier stuff. While it was funny watching Ted dress like Liberace and almost be able to figure skate, but otherwise this episode was too hokey for my taste. I really am hoping the second half of this season is better.
My rating: 6.5 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“Puppies!” – Barney enthuses, after pretending to break off his engagement to Robin and surprises her with the bundles of joy.
“You’re a fricken weirdo.” – Lily calls Barney, to which Ted concurs.
“Isn’t that right, Theodore?” – Barney questions Ted, getting up in his face.
“Poppycock!” – Barney utters.
“Well dog my cats, what are the chances?” – Barney expresses.


Okay, that’s one Monday show down, two to go. Check back shortly for my review of Almost Human, and afterwards The Blacklist.

No comments:

Post a Comment