Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Haven 4.13 Review: Giving In to What Feels Right


For all those that have yet to watch Friday night’s episode of Haven, entitled ‘The Lighthouse’, now would be your last chance to do so before proceeding ahead. For this is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
Well, I have to say this season finale definitely had its moments. I really enjoyed the point where William realizes a piece of his past love has clicked in Audrey when she re-Troubles Duke. Colin Ferguson is such an amazing actor, he was so great this season, especially the last few episodes, that I desperately hope he is not gone for good and that we get to see him again next season.
Also, I am extremely excited to get to know Mara more, Audrey’s original incarnation. The little bits of story that have filtered in this series certainly make sense, despite how sci-fi the whole Door business was; I am interested in this actual personality. That last line that Emily Rose spoke, as Mara, were incredibly heightening of my excitement for next season to come sooner. Audrey has been such a do-gooder, wanting to help, and that’s all very nice and good of her, but I am so beyond intrigued to learn who this more dangerous character is, and the history of her and William in that town.
That being said, there were several things I was disappointed with. Like I’ve said before, Jennifer was not written into this series well, she just seemed to take over completely. I’m really hoping she’s not back next year. Also, the extreme sci-fi nature of the Door, and what they opened. The Barn was one thing, this came across as a little much. And it wasn’t quite explained well, the whole being from another place was the four people that were needed to open the Door. I thought Audrey – or really Mara – and William were both from this place but were punished and sent into the Door. That’s one thing I’m rather confused about, and could’ve been explained better. The other thing I wasn’t happy about, was how this whole symbol ended up on Vince’s arm, and yet he had nothing to do with opening the Door, it was his brother. I didn’t understand that at all.
All in all, I am rather intrigued to see where they go with this series next season. I don’t really feel like this season was as tightly written as it should’ve been; there was a lot of filler bits to this season that weren’t necessary, and it was very slow going. That being said, Colin Ferguson was definitely a welcome addition to the show, and Duke – for the most part – was as wonderful as always. I was so happy for him to get the Crocker curse back, but I really hope he’s able to get all the curses coming to him under control. Let’s be honest, though, they’re not going to kill Duke Crocker off the series, he’s one of the best things it’s got going for him, although he could go for a haircut. Basically, this was an uneven season, but it had more things I loved than past seasons have.
My rating: 7.5 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“You saw it. I’ve won.” – William states, regarding Audrey.
“There’s a guy that knows what’s on the other side of that door. You and me should go for a beer.” – William says to Dave.
“He’s as good as dead. Now, who’s going to help me get William back?” – A freshly awakened Mara remarks.




Okay, I may get around to doing a full season review of this show next week, when I’m all done and caught up with the other four reviews. Check back tomorrow (or really later today) for my reviews of Once Upon A Time, Revenge, How I Met Your Mother, and Almost Human.

No comments:

Post a Comment